Recommendation for a drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all am building up my tools for plastering and have a £100 or thereabouts budget for a drill any recommendations ive got the screwfix catalogue

I cant see me doing a vast amount to be honest mainly plasterboard into stud

Any particular makes I should avoid etc voltages etc as I said it will be pretty sporadic use at least initally

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
hiya garywales!

i would recomend makita drills i use mine for tacking and that, if you do alot it would be good to invest in a 'ryobi auto-feed' screw gun there pretty gd do the job mate

i always use ryobi gary, the tool snobs will scowl at that but they make good tools and great value too.

may want to consider lithium-ion batteries now though, much lighter, last longer and hold their charge longer when not is use, an 18volt lithium weighs no more than a 14.4v ni-cad, and has the extra balls meaning you can do more with it, in the process of upgrading all my stuff to lithium, not cheap though but a worthwhile investment. www.tradecounterdirect.co.uk were much cheaper than screwfix for my ryobi impact driver so may be worth looking around their site.

like spred says, if you're looking to just tack boards and want to do plenty at speed, an auto feed gun is what the pros use but i still have my combi drill driver as i don't do tacking all that often.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest makita, although you missed a peach of a deal in screwfix for a 'site' 18V cordless with 3 batterys, it was only £50 and is made by makita and the batteries are compatable with makita, although the old range, not the new lithium ion range, still a bargain.

Ryobi tools are ok but i have never managed to get a cordless to last more than 1 year :( after three of them i get myself a hitachi (still going after 3 years, just) and then i recently got an 18V dewalt cordless which is ok (b and q offer) and the 'site' drill too cos i couldn't leave it there at that price.

If you are going for cordless make sure you get something with more than one battery and preferabally the higher 'amp hour / AH' the better, this means the tool will run for longer without the neeed for charging.

Lithium ion is the future in my opinion although can be pricey. I also have a bosch screwdriver that is 10.8V Li-ion, but spins way too slow for tacking with, you neck will start hurting supporting a board up to a ceiling trying to use it haha!!

If it's for work an auto feed is a must, if not and it's diy only,not really needed, but a pouch is.
Cordless are convenient but more costly.

ALl of my cordless stuff is Ryobi, (recipro saw, impact driver, circular saw, jig saw drills) i have used it alot on a daily basis for three years and have been well impressed, I have a makita auto feed screwdriver which is amazing, and has earnt its money 100 fold, a master mix paddle mixer which is strong enough to mix up small batches of screed! Ryobi is also very cheap to start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back