Recommendation for shelf brackets (heavy)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had these custom made wooden shelves made and I plan to wall mount them this weekend. They are already heavy and we plan to put books in them.

Can anyone recommend the best way of mounting these on my wall

Many thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
that the job off the person who made them really to plan to a system off fixing

is it a hollow wall or brick wall??

i would go for rod and no nails or pu foaming glue at 4 points where it touches the wall a 10mm hole 80mm deep angled down at about 2 degrees holes in the same position in the back off the shelve but sloping up

150mm x 8mm threaded rod or other metal rod rounded off ends

blob in every hole

stick rods in the wall about 15mm
place the shelve on the other ends and equally and parallel work back

Sponsored Links
Simple L plate at all four corners where they are flat to wall and drill,plug and screw to wall.

Simple L plate at all four corners where they are flat to wall and drill,plug and screw to wall.

i was trying to avoid ruining the form off the shelves but perhaps thats not an option :oops:

but i would know they where there--- you know exactly what i mean by that:cool: ;)

I must be extremely stupid as I do not have a clue what you mean big al. Can you explain in dummy terms please

ok imagine you look at the wall side on

you will have say 4 75mm threaded rods nearly horizontal sticking out the wall and pointing to the center off the room

will have holes in the rear off the shelves to accept the rods that will remain invisible within the wood when flush to the wall
in other words no visible fixings

So I will have to drill suitable holes in the shelves to allow them to sit on the rods? What will fix the shelves to the rods?

Not to sure about drilling into the shelves as this is black heart oak wood seems a shame to butcher it :p

Really this should have been thought of as part of the design as already said.

Options that occur to me, apart from those already mentioned are flat plates rebated and screwed into the back of the shelves top and bottom in the corners. Or you might use heavy duty "keyhole plates" in the sides for the top fixings. I wouldn't use them for all the fixings because of the chance of the shelves getting lifted off accidentally sometime.

I would just say that anything you use needs to be sufficiently strong to stop it being accidentally pulled off the wall etc.

You are going to have to at least screw into the wood to get fixings. Anything less visible will require more woodwork. It's oak so drill pilot holes and lube the screws with candle wax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back