Recommendations for hydraulic jack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The winter wheels/tyres went on yesterday, and I'm getting somewhat fed up with cranking my trusty old scissors jack (car is 2000kg).

As this gets done twice a year, I'm considering buying a hydraulic jack.

Who makes good ones, what's a reasonable price, and what should I look for/avoid?

Thanks in advance,
AP

edit: spelling

Sponsored Links
i'm sure you'll have similar accessory outlets there as we do here, but look for a middle of the range size wise trolley jack with a minimum 2 tonne lift.
Depending on what car you have, you may need a low profile one to fit underneath.
Try to get one with a soft jack pad, that prevents marking the underbody!
The sky is the limit price wise - over here jacks start at around £30 which are fine for the odd DIY job - pay up to £100 and there's much more choice.
John :)

Sealey or Clarke are ok and not to expensive.
Halfords were doing their own trolly jack, 2 axle stands, 2 wheel scorches, and a lying board for £50.

At the other end of the spectrum, Snap-On will have a life time guarantee

Don't work under them and always use stands, so as long as the don't leak.

Sponsored Links
I have a couple of jacks similar to the one in the picture, I bought them some years ago at Trago Mills and paid less than £20.00 each for them, they get a fair ammount of use and are wearing well.

I also have a Bradbury jack that I bought in 1965 at a cost of £27.00 which was well over a weeks wages then - that still works OK but is very heavy to move around compared to these lightweight ones but does give a more confident feel.

Peter

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, esp burnerman for the hint about clearance.

best wishes,
AP

Back