Recommendations for new boiler/vented/unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my 11 year old Saunier Duval Thelia Twin 28E boiler which was installed when the house was built and is now causing problems on a regular basis.

My wife and three boys, aged 9, 13 and 15 live in what started as a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom (en-suite & main) house and which has now become a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom house as a result of a loft extension. We now have 3 showers and 2 baths although it is mainly the showers that are used. The old combi boiler is connected to a sealed system which has 12 radiators and 3 towel rails spread across 11 rooms (including the bathrooms).

The boiler is wall mounted in the garage with lots of space below it. What I would really like to get out of a new "system" would be the ability to have 2 showers simultaneously without losing pressure (something that isn't currently possible), a reduction in gas bills and reliability.

I'm in the process of getting quotes, but I always feel I am directing the conversation towards what I would like rather than being told what is possible. For example, when mentioning I would like 2 shows to run simultaneously I was told that wasn't possible with a combi boiler, but he offered no alternative solution, until I mentioned megaflow, at which pointer he suggested an unvented cyclinder and a system boiler.

I would appreciate some suggestions of the best way of replacing my current boiler with a new "system", whatever that may be.

I've read about vented and unvented pressure systems and it seems that vented gives the same results as an unvented system, but without all the safety issues etc. so what do unvented systems have going for them?

Sponsored Links
In this situation I'd normally offer o:

a) A system boiler and Unvented cylinder

b) A store combi such as a Glowworm Ultrapower

c) A highflow combi such as an ATAG Q51C

There are pros and cons to all 3, but most importantly its important you have suitable water pressure. Anyone who doesn't measure the flow rate of your cold supply doesn't deserve to be treated seriously imo.

Mickyg, thanks for the info. It's a shame you're not closer to Leeds otherwse and invite you around to give a quote.

You say there are pros and cons of all 3 solutions. Would you be kind enough to briefly list what they are or point me in the direction of some further info so I can determine this myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back