Recommendations for thin radiator where projection from wall is as small as possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I am in a bit of a situation, our joiner has installed a kitchen and there's a drawer unit and fillet piece to the wall there is 60mm clearance between wall and edge of the drawers, I have been looking at the following options

1-an old type radiator 600mm high x 400mm wide with no convector (type 10 or p1 type) then wih modified brackets to pull the radiator closer in to the wall. The problem is I'm struggling to locate one as they must have stopped making and selling them. I have seen thin towel rails that would do the job many years ago on my travels but cannot seem to see anything currently available.

-2 a flat ladder towel rail of thinner construction that I can modify the brackets to pull it closer to the wall.
Trouble is the manufacturers don't advertise how deep the towel rail is.

If you have come across anything that will do or anything I can modify to do this I would appreciate any suggestions, after countless hours searching I am running out of options. I
Screenshot_20221219-104241.jpg
have looked at renewing the drawer unit but they are £600+ and the client is an insurance company that has very tight rates so extra charges would be out of our own pocket.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Regards

Sponsored Links
You can get plinth heathers that are wet type -> a fan blows air through a matrix that is heated by the central heating water, e.g. a Smiths SS5

Sponsored Links
I am going to try to use a white flat ladder towel rail and cut down the brackets and see how that goes, the customer is selling the house and just wants it done, failing that we will look to a plinth heater.
Thank you guys.

Bit late now but should have used a bigger fillet and narrower drawers. Can they be cut down or will that be too much work? You could possibly use a tall designer rad there.

Last edited:
A towel rad there will look ridiculous and may detract from the look. Don't forget, sellers are very informed these days and they will know that has been added as an afterthought/fudge. That then may make them think, ok, if that's been done like that, what else isn't right.

Towel radiators are only good for towels and they belong in the bathroom not the kitchen.

Without a doubt in that case a plinth heater is the proper way to go if there is no other wall space

If they're selling, just leave it without radiator.
It will be the new owner's problem.
For some unknown reasons, the majority of home buyers rip the kitchen off as soon as they get the keys.
I've dismantled brand new kitchens many times, sold and refitted to other customers.
Total madness.

Can they be cut down
Yep. I've got a drawer in my kitchen that looks like it's 600 wide but is actually 430 when you pull it open - it was 600, but collided with the pain in the ass crappy designer sink. I still wanted the storage space so I cut 170mm off the floor and rear and left the face wood as is; just had to drill new holes to mount the repositioned side rails in, and move the side of the cabinet holding the runners too. Easy job but more tricky if you have to modify the drawer fronts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back