Recommended books, standards etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It can't be just me that is completely bewildered by the number of different publications out there. As I'm looking to get Part P registered soon I'm trying to decide what I need in my 'library' and what might be useful.

All the Part P sites seem to say is that it is a requirement to hold 'relevant statutory documents'. Obviously I will be checking once I proceed with the application, but is anyone willing to offer advice on the books that they consider essential/useful to someone doing domestic electrical work?

So far I know I need:

BS7671 inc 2004 Amendments
On-site Guide (Already have and find very useful)
Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations (according to one Part P site)

And suspect I need:

Guidance Note 3 : Inspection and Testing

But its not clear if the other guidance notes are necessary? (1 and 7 seem potentially relevant)

I wonder if it would help readers of the forum to have a sticky with recommended/essential publications, since they often seem to come up in discussions?

On a side note, I am rather suprised at the cost of some of the publications, given that they are standards that are expected to be adhered to. A cynic might wonder why they are not at least available online to browse when researching a small point without needing to pay for the whole book....

Any advice welcome :D

Sponsored Links
pcboffinuk said:
All the Part P sites seem to say is that it is a requirement to hold 'relevant statutory documents'. Obviously I will be checking once I proceed with the application, but is anyone willing to offer advice on the books that they consider essential/useful to someone doing domestic electrical work?
So far I know I need:

BS7671 inc 2004 Amendments
On-site Guide (Already have and find very useful)
Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations (according to one Part P site)
And suspect I need:
Guidance Note 3 : Inspection and Testing
But its not clear if the other guidance notes are necessary? (1 and 7 seem potentially relevant)

I think that the books you mentioned are enough, every one of us collects books "just in case" but to be registered you need BS7671, On Site Guide GN 3, I don't know whether you really need the last 2 as they are recommendations based on BS7671 and procedures how to comply.

I think that what is important is to have books that will help you to understand and be able to follow the regulations, and probably you know that all what the regulations are for is SAFETY.

I have at home many books, what I can recommend is the books that I use (from time to time) because they have practical view and advice concerning the regs.

1) The Electrician's Guide by John whitfield - This is an attempt to explain the regs. and make them simple.
2) Electrician's Guide To The Building Regulation by the IEE - I find this as the most helpful and most practical book, it is some kind of On site guide with overview on the related building regs.
3) 2 small books by Amicus - one is "The electrician's Guide to good electrical practice" and the second is "The electrician's guide to Inspection and Testing", this two books, because they are small you can carry with you and they are an excellent value for money(I paid £10 for the lot including delivery).
What I will suggest is that you look at these books and see if they are good for you, I know that they are good for me.

I wonder if it would help readers of the forum to have a sticky with recommended/essential publications, since they often seem to come up in discussions?
Books and regs change all the time, some one will have a full time job to update the sticky.

On a side note, I am rather suprised at the cost of some of the publications, given that they are standards that are expected to be adhered to. A cynic might wonder why they are not at least available online to browse when researching a small point without needing to pay for the whole book....
Any advice welcome :D
As you will become more involved you will realize like many of us that part P is a source of incredibly good income for many organizations and as with everything else the ODPM is busy writing stupid documents but do not care whether in reality they are necessary or working. Just a small example from a different field and office you must have insurance for your car and for your business so you pay for it so this is not an income but you pay 5% tax on your insurance, can you explain this? so it's all the same

I'm in a similar situation to you pcboffinuk. I took my lead from the word "statutory" and got a copy of the Electricity At Work Regulations (1989 I think), which is easily findable and freely available on the web.
I found Brian Scaddan to be useful as an author, though he tends to get quite repetitive throughout different publications.

Sponsored Links
I find AMICUS Electricians Guide & AMICUS Inspection & Testing at £7.00 each handy books ( I used the I & T book to swat up for part p assessment).
you can get them from here & other publications also.
http://www.premtrain.co.uk/publi.html
Another good refrence book to have at hand is the electricians guide to building regulations.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/086341463X/202-4208421-1590261

You will need EAW regulation, Bs7671, osg & a copy of the part p document for part p registration.

Many thanks to all for the useful responses.

I already have the 'Electrician's Guide To The Building Regulation' and agree it is a very useful reference.

I also have 'The Electrician's Guide by John whitfield', although its pretty heavy reading in one sitting it seems to go into more details on some things than the OSG.

I will certainly investigate the Amicus books. and I've just bought an ebook on Testing by Anthony Hinsley that looks useful too, so that should keep me going for now.

Comms, Can you or anyone confirm if you were asked for GN3 or any of the other guidance notes when assessed for Part P registration?

Many Thanks all

Gavin

I don't know about part P assesments requirements but when I started my 2391 (inspection and testing) course it was one of the books we had to have. I think that it is useful to have this one.
I know from the general qualifications requirements, the exams include questions related to inspection and testing so no harm in having it, to be fair it is quiet detailed and easy to follow.

No you dont need the GN3 for part p, but any of the guidance note books are well worth getting.

Ok thanks, I think I'll hold off on the GN until I start making some money to pay for them then!

Albert said:
As you will become more involved you will realize like many of us that part P is a source of incredibly good income for many organizations and as with everything else the ODPM is busy writing stupid documents but do not care whether in reality they are necessary or working. Just a small example from a different field and office you must have insurance for your car and for your business so you pay for it so this is not an income but you pay 5% tax on your insurance, can you explain this? so it's all the same

It did occur to me quite soon that it couldn't be a complete coincidence that the Part P registration schemes all cost about the same per year :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back