First rewire - any advice or books that will help me out ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may be doing my first rewire soon - a friend needs a rewire on his new house and I need to get jobs for assessment so it would be good for both of us.

I am an unpracticed spark having served my time 13 years ago in industry but for many reasons I am now coming back to the trade.

I have done my 17th regs and I&T & initial verification 2392 with a total of 1 qu wrong in each - gutted about that, I really wanted to the clean sweep.

I have always done abit house bashing while out of the trade so I am not exactly unpractical but like most sparks I am abit of a control freak where doing a job is concerned, I really want to enter it without any surprises cropping up.

So my qu is this, is there a book that will go through a standard rewire. I have lots of reading anyway, eg on site guide-Part P for elecs-guide note 3-IEE regs (of course)-NICEIC guidance on I&T.
The I&T is not a problem - the theory is not a problem - it is just the lack of experience that makes me a bit unsure really.
Would this book help - The electricians guide - J Whitfield ?

My intention is to inform building control, do the job and get them to register it, I will then use this job as one of my assessment jobs.

Sponsored Links
The electricians guide wont help with the re-wire, this book explains the 17th eds in a clearer fashion than the big red book.
Not sure that a book would be able to help you as you said you have the paper knowledge just not the experience. But you said you've done a bit of house bashing in the past, so you'll be aware there always are surprise

Those kind of surprises I can deal with :)

Like I said I am abit of a control freak :evil: I just want to research every avenue for info before jumping in.

the part P on site guide can help a little with sticking to regs and such

Sponsored Links
good call
The IEE Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations (updated 17th eds) ISBN 978-0-86341-862-4
Some handy pointers to part p and other building regs

There was a book by someone who is on the IET forum (Part P doctor) about house wiring, albeit it was based on the 16th edn regs. Not sure if he has released an up to date version but I notice there are ammendments on his website to update the 16th end one.

If you're using it as a reference job for registration, and the inspection timings allow, don't bother with notifying LABC. Certify it yourself once you've passed the inspection.

One thing I found was that my estimating was always optomistic. Jobs would pretty much always take longer than I initially thought, so make sure you add plenty of contingency in your estimates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back