Rewiring project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago I rewired a house I purchased. I have recently bought another and started to brush up on things I had forgotten ready to start the rewiring. After doing a bit of research I have found that things have changed alot and I am now confused about what can and cannot be done. The phrase 'Wiring Regulations' are cropping up alot. After reading some posts on various forums I think I will still go ahead with this project myself and have been looking for some guides to thes regulations. I will be doing a bog standard rewire of a 3 bed terraced house, with kitchen, bathroom, dining and living room. No otside electrics for the time being.
I found tewo publications that appear to be the bees knees for such things.

IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition
and
IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition

One is the full regulations and the other an onsite version.
My question is, (eventually), has anyone used these publications and would the onsite version be adequate for my bog standard rewire or would the full regs publication be better?
Finally is there a free online copy of these regs or a good guide for a complete rewire taking into account thr regulations?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There are some people on ebay selling "Regulations" on CD-ROM very cheaply. Of course you don't know if you're getting a completely accurate and up to date version and no professional electrician would dream of trying to work from bootleg copies of standards.

Thanks for the links Flameport, Yes the OSG has got good reviews.
and I'll avoid the CD Owain, I wouldnt want to carry a computer around anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back