Recommended Rachet crimpers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupidly :cry: :oops: I picked up a 'cheapy' pair or rachet crimpers for £12, I found they gave somewhat inconsistant results, and when I did actually manage to make a reasonably strong joint I have mananged to pull it apart without the cables snapping first (something I beleive should be impossible... though it was pretty difficult and I felt the cables were not far off snapping)), looking at the ends of the cores that have been pulled out, it looks like they haven't been deformed quite enough (slight dent, but not much)

(also doesn't look very well made and the splices get stuck in the jaws a little after crimping)

Anyway I've got my money back for those, and I'm looking for something that will make a decent job of things, seen ones by draper and sealey; names that seem to ring a bell, worth going for either of these? and which one? Also someone on screwfix recommended CK ones to someone a while back, but I can't find them anywhere, anyone seen them?

(Oh... I'm talking about the insulated red, blue and yellow ones btw :) )

Sponsored Links
hahahaha!

I bought some CK ones because I was worried I'd break cheap ones.

Screwfix I think had some at about £20, I don't think they had a trade name.

There are a lot of Silverline available which assumed were cheap rubbish.

I've had a few Draper tools before and found them to be cheap and flimsy, though not as bad as you can buy in street markets.

JohnD said:
hahahaha!
Yes, yes, keep it down :LOL:

JohnD said:
Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? and what do you reckon to them?

JohnD said:
Screwfix I think had some at about £20, I don't think they had a trade name.
I think I'd better avoid the unbranded ones... :cry:

JohnD said:
There are a lot of Silverline available which assumed were cheap rubbish.
Rest assured that they are indeed cheap rubbish :oops:

JohnD said:
I've had a few Draper tools before and found them to be cheap and flimsy, though not as bad as you can buy in street markets.
Thanks, I haven't had much experience with draper and non at all with their hand tools, I've got a draper 'dremel' (but the only use that sees is drilling 0.8mm holes in PCBs)

Adam_151 said:
JohnD said:
Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? and what do you reckon to them?

I got them from a woman on Fleabay trading under the handle of rhianch

I got the impression she had bought the stock from an importer or shop. I think I got her last pair, but I believe I had missed her two previous last pairs. Mine were new but not packaged. She had some in absurdly large, and absurdly small, sizes.

They seemed fine to me, didn't twist or anything and have a good square-toothed jaw. I haven't tried pulling a joint apart though.

Sponsored Links
Got a pair of CK crimpers last month from tool-net.co.uk.
When you get out on site make sure you mark all stuff like this or it will walk.

yes, like that
plracl3682.jpg

the jaws look as if it would be possible to swap for different sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back