Recommended router bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a few small shelves in solid wood (could be iroko, not entirely sure) and I want to round the edges and corners ever so slightly so figured on a 3/8 or even a 1/8" roundover bit. Is there a decent 'value' brand to look at? Not looking to spend loads as I'll not be using it a lot.

There are sets like this one on fleabay but not sure if that's going too cheap?! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264565642160?hash=item3d995753b0:g:~xQAAOSwNwZhXGLC&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoDRIpMJv517gxCahZlhLmurBGQhVc/omtsqlZYGD7I/409QUqNwmhR60PloF/FKM0E1Gr6GEOROcdp4s5YheMejXrLquxQRaz51wgJb9IJVzgnBsgQbOy4Z3PEe8iwixNWjyS2RtXNVvuYbG7kTo5GAGRFIu6QJlbWBkLavzXPgjsVZ77Szz2i4ZzDTAXRHhf6nqLhRftRFb6Ty6LR5XuXs=|tkp:Bk9SR96Yn-u9YQ

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Understood but which brand is a good value cheapish one?

Just pick up the own brand from toolstation or screwfix. Or if you really must, Silverline.

Whatever you choose - use it at the right speed and feed it at the right speed and don't abuse it. Job done.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
wealdon tools
axminster ---- "
rutlands ------" ------ aim for when on special otherwise expensive sometimes

Last edited:
to be fair, those dont look too bad and are dead cheap, you will find they might well be good enough for a short run

Screwfix Erbauer router bits are fantastic for the price -their 1/2" x 50mm are £11 ish and in my experience as good as Trend professional
sadly they dont do small pencil round as you are looking for

I usually buy Wealdon router bits but you are looking over £30 for a rounding over bit with ball bearing

The set doesn't look bad value. I've had stuff from 'Lumber Jack' before. I have no knowledge of how good their router bit sets are but I have a dovetail bit from them and it works OK and does seem to be lasting well - say I've used it for around 2 cutting hours.

1/8 inch round over bit is small - I'm sure you could do an equally good job easing the edge with a plane and a few strokes with sandpaper.

a chamfer bit [45%] will give a smoother edge and a nice detail as small or as big as you like infinitely variable with the same cutter

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. I may as well pick up that set then as it's only light used at most.

a chamfer bit [45%] will give a smoother edge and a nice detail as small or as big as you like infinitely variable with the same cutter
I didn't know that. Is it just the shape of the cutter that gives a cleaner cut?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. I may as well pick up that set then as it's only light used at most.

I didn't know that. Is it just the shape of the cutter that gives a cleaner cut?
ok my comments meant no sharp edges
a similar quality cutter will give the same clean cut regardless off profile, the only variant is on the odd occasion the wood grain get lifted a bit but that happens on any cutter

get youself a router/non-slip mat and some dry PTFE spray lubricant both about a tenner[£4/£6]

random link

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
its basically powdered teflon non-stick non-staining you dont need it but it helps on heavier cuts and to keep the cutter clean

i have used it for years it used to be my go to item at tool station to make up a £10 order
not bought it recently it was around £1'80p last time i bought some but seems far more expensive now---and i still have 2 cans probably out off date now :unsure:

also pratice on an offcut preferably over 200mm long for a 1/4 router both to get used to the setup also allows you to vary the cutter to test how different chamfers look or on a profile cutter the step is right and on a roundover cutter you havent gone to deep and getting a quirk[step] rather than a full round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back