1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Sliding Mitre Saws - £400 and under?

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by KC Cantiaci, 16 Feb 2019.

1. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Just had my old Metabo mitre saw nicked so I need to buy myself a new one.

Ideally, a 10” or bigger as the Metabo was only 8” and I sometimes felt I needed the extra depth. I don’t use it on sites so 240v is fine for me.

Was looking to spend £400 or less and the one that keeps coming up is the Makita LS1018L at around £340 but it does seem to have been around for years but if it’s a good machine, then great. Was looking at a ‘value’ brand Lumberjack but wondered if I’d regret it. Generally, I use it for skirting, architrave etc. so I’d like some accuracy but also for joists, studwork etc.

Any recommendations?

2. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the LS1013, if the 1018 is anything as good would highly recommend it.

Blup

3. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm unhappy with the quality and consistency of the LS1018 and the larger LS1218. I've been on four or five jobs where one or other model was hired-in by the main contractor and I've experienced loads of issues with the back fences being warped, the saws not being able to cut plumb consistently (on two brand new saws, that), etc. That said they were still better than the Milwaukees we've had, lighter, too. They are a step-up from the old LS1013 in terms of being able to cut over 45 degree angles, but they seem quite variable in quality

4. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hmmmm... might be worrying. Can they not be adjusted/calibrated?

Anything else out there that might be a better fit?

5. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With no other viable options available without spending loads and me needing one sooner rather than later, I’ve opted for the Makita LS1018L.

It was good timing that I received a 10% discount code via FB for Axminster so even though there initial price was slightly higher than some others, the 10% discount tipped it so £328 delivered. So we’ll see what we get.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local