Mitre saw cutting path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a slightly curious one. I have a Metabo 216mm sliding mitre saw. Apart from the fact it needs regular adjustment to stay true it cuts well, all except when on a 45degree cut.
Cut a 45 degree mitre on some 6" skirting board and there's a pronounced arc of the path before it straightens out.

Everything seems tight and secure so I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Is your skirting cupped? (common flaw especially with softwood) Are you supporting the full length of the skirting properly?

Nice theory. On that basis a saw blade on a table saw would never be able to hit the blade opening insert. Buy they can, and on the odd occasion, do just that. Worst offenders (in mitre saws) are the big 12in saws where the blade can visibly flex if making a cut where one side of the blade is in the material and the other isn't (e.g. a dust cut). The other thing you can get, especially if bevel cutting is flexing or bowing in the arm of the saw as the head moves outwards

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Ok well I have 4 mitre saws and 3 circular saws and I have yet to come across any of my saws cutting curves, Although I don't own a 12" saw.

Don't press the blade on the wood.
Let the blade cut slowly so it doesn't flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back