Recommended Wood Glue Please .. for general furniture repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to repair a few chairs for my daughter (a bit wobbly .. chairs, not daughter) and thought I had some. Sadly my wee green bottle of Evo-Stik wood glue has dried up.

I was going to buy the same again, but there now seems to be quite a large collection,all supposedly wood glue. There's a 500g bottle from Tommy Walsh in Poundland, various forms of Gorilla glue, including a specific wood glue as well as the Evo-Stik I've had before.

Are they all the same strength ?

Or, like most things, is it a case of 'you get what you pay for'

I thank you for any adice provided

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with Evo-Stik Resin W (the green stuff you were referring to, I think) although for most joinery work these days I tend to use either the blue version of Resin W (which is moisture resistant) or often, now, this stuff:

Everbuild D4 Wood Adhesive.jpg

EverBuild D4 Wood Adhesive, which is a cross-linked D4 glue and useable outdoors as well as fast setting (possibly too fast for repair work).

If all you are doing is indoor work and the furniture isn't going into the bathroom or kitchen then a good alternative is Titebond Liquid Hide Glue, a modern version of the old hide glue which can be used cold. It sets slowly, giving plenty of time to position joints, it fills gaps (important in repairs) and it is reversible if things go wrong and you need to take the piece apart again (D3, D4 and poluurethane glues such as the original Gorilla glue don't allow this as they are irreversible when set). I carry a tube of that when I'm out and about doing repair jobs for just the sort of things you were talking about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back