reconnecting a Honeywell V4073A diverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off. I am an electrician by trade but my knowledge of central heating and associated plumbing and ancillary equipment is limited to being a skilled DIY'er. I replaced the above mentioned diverter valve and suspect that I have the connections wrong. Not understanding how the system works other than the basics of what the diverter does I need to clarify things. I may have the wiring correct and have problems elsewhere....

Since I 'fiddled' with the diverter I need to check that first. This image is the connection strip for the programmer itself. Could someone advise me as to which diverter wire connects to which connection in this image.

Please note: There is NO room thermostat anywhere in the house. Essentially the timer is all that controls heating.

I need to know where the following diverter wires connect to:
Which colour to which number

Orange
White
Grey
Blue

//www.diynot.com/network/cielo/albums/4311/17257

This is my first post so am not sure how or if I can embed images here. The url is to my album where the programmer image is depicted.

TIA

Alan

[/img]

Sponsored Links
programmer

3, ch call can go in 5 the white as you have no room stat.
6, hw call number 6 to cyl stat.
7, hw off number 7 grey.

Sponsored Links
programmer

3, ch call can go in 5? the white as you have no room stat.
7, hw off number 7 grey.
5 is the CH common, which is normally linked to L. Do you mean white to 3?
No mention of a cylinder stat. If there is a HW stat, SAT should also be connected to grey.

Where does the orange go?

programmer

3, ch call can go in 5 the white as you have no room stat.
7, hw off number 7 grey.

Great thanks for this. Now if you could please indulge me as some things have become clearer but some less so.

Looking at the programmer image:

Cable one
7 = blue wire
6 = yellow wire
3 = red wire

Cable two
L = red
N = black

This image is from the attic where the diverter connects to the other end of the cable described above in original post.

//www.diynot.com/network/cielo/albums/4311/17259

Please note: I have not disconnected the cable at 12 or 3 o'clock
I find it odd that the yellow wire (6 above) for 12 o'clock cable is connected to earth. Seems to me to be wrong?

The diverter cable is at 9 o'clock and is disconnected apart from the orange (connected to red 3 o'clock which is 'L' at programmer)

I assume the diverter blue goes to 3 o'clock black - 'N' at programmer)

Once I have got this sorted out and the CH working I am definitely going to fix what is a really shoddy job of wiring connection in the attic.

But first I need to warm the house up :)

TIA

Alan

programmer

3, ch call can go in 5? the white as you have no room stat.
7, hw off number 7 grey.
5 is the CH common, which is normally linked to L. Do you mean white to 3?
No mention of a cylinder stat. If there is a HW stat, SAT should also be connected to grey.

Where does the orange go?

No room stat and no cylinder stat.....this it seems to me is a very basic and no doubt OLD set up.

And yes :) where does the orange go...other than with a dash of vodka :)

that black/red cable should be live/neutral to the programmer.

theirs no live/neutral feed to that junction box. :confused: or earth, sw/l to boiler.

Here is your second pic with the programmer cables labelled:

It's a complete nightmare.

The programmer gets power from the orange, which is impossible as the orange only gets power when grey and white are live, and this will only happen if there is power to the red. A catch 22 situation.

The yellow is HW ON, so connecting the valve earth to the same terminal would be rather disastrous.

Where is the cable to the boiler?

If there is no cylinder thermostat, how do they stop the hot water overheating?

I think you need to get room and cylinder stats and a proper wiring centre and rewire the whole lot as per diagram posted earlier.

that black/red cable should be live/neutral to the programmer.

theirs no live/neutral feed to that junction box. :confused: or earth, sw/l to boiler.

Okay....in that case I have to throw in the towel and get someone in. The programmer is connected to a strip connector which has unmarked cables going back to the boiler (I assume) I have no idea where to start trying to sort this out.

So the question now is. Who do I call in? who is the appropriate technician to call?

Not being resident in the UK for very long and most certainly not familiar with boilers, CH etc I am anxious to get the right people in and not get taken for a ride.

I am resident in Lytham St Annes.

The programmer gets power from the orange, which is impossible as the orange only gets power when grey and white are live, and this will only happen if there is power to the red. A catch 22 situation.

The yellow is HW ON, so connecting the valve earth to the same terminal would be rather disastrous.

I think you need to get room and cylinder stats and a proper wiring centre and rewire the whole lot as per diagram posted earlier.

If you saw the strip connector with something like 20 wires all unmarked and regular black/red domestic cable you would know what I am up against. As I said...I think it's time to give up. Of course anyone trying to sort it out will have the same trouble.

As far as thermostats are concerned. There is no control over room temp but I imagine there must be one in the combi boiler itself. How it is wired back to the programmer is anybodies guess.

Sometime next year the house will be sub-divided into 3 flats each with it's own system. What we do now is basically a stop gap for this and maybe next winter.

If you saw the strip connector with something like 20 wires all unmarked and regular black/red domestic cable you would know what I am up against. As I said...I think it's time to give up. Of course anyone trying to sort it out will have the same trouble.

As far as thermostats are concerned. There is no control over room temp but I imagine there must be one in the combi boiler itself. How it is wired back to the programmer is anybodies guess.

Sometime next year the house will be sub-divided into 3 flats each with it's own system. What we do now is basically a stop gap for this and maybe next winter.

Just in case it was overlooked in my last post...

Okay....in that case I have to throw in the towel and get someone in. The programmer is connected to a strip connector which has unmarked cables going back to the boiler (I assume) I have no idea where to start trying to sort this out.

So the question now is. Who do I call in? who is the appropriate technician to call?

Not being resident in the UK for very long and most certainly not familiar with boilers, CH etc I am anxious to get the right people in and not get taken for a ride.

I am resident in Lytham St Annes.

Darn! I hate giving up on these things :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back