Reconnecting to mains electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - long time lurker, first time poster , Hello all.

Have already searched but can't find any relevant topics.

We have a property (a club hut) that was disconnected from the mains a couple of years ago.
The Meter was removed, and just the big fat cable remains poking up through the floor from underground.

We want to reconnect, but the owner was quoted something like 3 grand for this which seems rather excessive. I'm not sure the energy supplier understood that there was already a cable in-situ.

I'd have thought it was just a case of them refitting a modern fuse/meter to back onto the cable and a sparky can then fit a distribution board etc.

Anybody any thoughts as to whats involved and likely costs.

cheers - Sam.

Sponsored Links
The Meter was removed, and just the big fat cable remains poking up through the floor from underground.
What's on the end of the cable?

We want to reconnect, but the owner was quoted something like 3 grand for this which seems rather excessive. I'm not sure the energy supplier understood that there was already a cable in-situ.
Has anybody told them?

It may well have been disconnected out under the street - can't see them leaving a supply ready for stealing once they'd lost the checks provided by meter readings....

I belive when getting a DNO to do work you have the right to demand an itemised quote with any "contestable works" (theese are works you can opt to do yourself rather than paying them to do it clearly marked on it. I would do so.

anything involving monopoly utilities tends to be expensive :(

Sponsored Links
cheers for the responses.

As far as I can remember - the end of the the big fat cable is just all insulating taped up, and possibly tarred over?

I agree that its unlikly that this is 'live' as it'd be bloody dangerous.

Im there tomorrow or sunday - so I'll have a look.

I belive when getting a DNO to do work you have the right to demand an itemised quote with any "contestable works"

Cheers - deffo will look into that too, as we are a handy bunch of lads in the club, and Im sure most 'contestable works' could be done by ourselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back