Electric to garage across public path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section. I did see the "planning etc" forum but as this is only about an electrical supply thought this would be the best place.

My question ❓
I want to run power to my garage for light heating and the occasional power tool. The garage is only a meter and half from the house but a public path runs between.

I want to do this properly and will be getting a qualified electrician to do all the electrical bits.

My query is should the cable be run overhead as a temporary connection or underground as permanent (my preference)?

Also is there anything else I should be aware of before I ask the council about going over/under the path to ensure their answer isn't a straight "No"?

N.b. There is already a gas main running under the same path.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
First port of call is to speak to the council then.

Check that it is their land, and what permission is required to dig it.

I suspect it will be similar to that of adding a drop kerb - you can pay for it to be done but there are obviously criteria that need to be met.

If you're lucky, you'll own it despite it being a highway; you may then be legally permitted to tunnel underneath or install an overhead wire at some sufficiently-high height without further complications.

If the coucil owns it (which I think is unlikely, unless it's an estate originally developed by the council) or if it's part of an estate where it's owned by the original developer, then you will need to employ a company who have the necessary permits for highway works. This will get expensive.

Personally I'd be tempted to "just get on with it", especially if some form of tunnelling is practical.

Bank Holiday weekends are good for doing things like that. No officials about. Spread the dirt about afterwards.

But then, all it takes is a busy-body neighbour.

Put a duct in. Leave it a while to see if anyone has noticed. Then pull the cable through.

There are a large number of utilities buried in the ground around properties. Gas, electricity, street light power, water, comms fibre, and others.
You don't want to go digging anywhere like that unless you have a map of what is there (this are publically-available documents).
Read this http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...ice/documents/8542 Underground Safety_Web.pdf

Also you'll need a cable and pipe locator, to double check what is under your feet. Something like THIS
They can be hired as £1000 is a bit pricey for one job.

Ignore anyone who suggests you just go and do it.

Yeah, TTC is right. as you know there is already a gas main under, there may be other services too. You cannot risk rupturing that gas main or damaging other services.

I think your first step, would be to find out exactly who the land belongs to? Before you do anything else. Then contact the landowner regarding your proposed work. I would be mighty pyssed if someone decided to use my land without authorisation. It may not belong to the council but it may not belong to you either.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
Off to find out who owns the path as it's not in my deeds.

If it is the council that owns the path they will most probably say no to a cable across or under the path.

That said if the area is very dark at night and the path is used a lot then you could try a sweetener such as offering to install and maintain a lamp to illuminate the dark area between house and garage. Adds to public safety. A good quality 1 or 2 watt LED floodlight wil cost about £15 to £ 20 pounds to buy and if left on day and night will cost less than 10p a week to run

Or worse, breaking the gas supply line followed by cutting a live cable !!!

That is only local to the hole, better is water pipe and gas pipe hit, water and mud in the gas mains takes lot more clearing up. Can affect appliances in homes over a large area fpor many days. Can cost the person responsible hundreds aof thousands of pounds. And household insurance won't cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back