Reconnection of Electricity

Does your Association own the building?
Is there a dangerous situation?
Do you want the supply reconnected?

If the answers are all 'Yes' then you have already been informed what you must do.

The question of who caused the damage [and is therefore responsible for that damage] is a separate matter which must be taken up with that person.

I suggest that you get someone who comprehends this to deal with it.

Sponsored Links
"You do not seem to know your own job. If there was a dangerous situation, the supplier quite correctly disconnected the supply to protect the tenant, the public, the building, themselves and yourselves in that order. Your organisation then has to certify to the supplier that the dangerous situation has been resolved. They can then reconnect.

From what you have posted, you would be the first to bellyache if there had been a disaster."

Fortunatley I do know my job. I can quite understand that if there is an immediate danger to a property then action is required. I have myself been involved in the disconnection of gas and electricity to tenanted properties.

The dangerous situation has been resolved. The tenant responsible for the damage is no longer there. Any and all electrics within the property itself have been tested as much as they possibly can.

The supply can be reconnected at any time.

What I am complaining about is that Northern PowerGrid can remove a supply without notifying anyone. And then expect someone who has been consulted at no point in all of this, to pay an exorbitant amount, for something that is not their fault.

Damage by the tenant to Northern PowerGrid's equipment, to British Gas' supplies, should be for either Northern PowerGrid or Briitsh Gas to recover the costs! They had plenty of opportunity to do so, they still have, they do not wish to. Why? because it is easier to shift the responsibility onto an innocent party.

Your issue is between your goodselves and your former tenant.

The energy supplier has done his job correctly.

Does the Housing Association own the building? Yes.
Is there a dangerous situation? No.
Do we want the supply reconnecting? Yes.

Yes I have been informed what to do. However this seems very unfair and I do not see why an innocent party has to foot the bill.

"The question of who caused the damage [and is therefore responsible for that damage] is a separate matter which must be taken up with that person."

This question who caused the damage and to what property is already resolved. National PowerGrid and British Gas are well aware of who caused damage to THEIR equipment. If someone damages my equipment it is for me to recover costs.

I fully comprehend this matter, I do not agree with it. I think British Gas are escaping their responsibility, the supply to a property is for them to sort.

I know I am expected to pay for a new supply, I do not agree with it and think it is unlawful, I am in this forum to see if anyone elese has faced this problem and if they managed to get around it.

Sponsored Links
I know I am expected to pay for a new supply, I do not agree with it and think it is unlawful, I am in this forum to see if anyone elese has faced this problem and if they managed to get around it.
I suspect this is another of those "that's how it is" issues - however unfair it is.

The only possible way I can think you might get your money back might be to take the supplier/DNO to the small claims court for return of the connection fee (after the fact) - arguing that by not notifying you that there was a problem, they had failed in their duty of care to you as the property owner to reasonably minimise costs. As you say, had you been informed of the problem, then you may have been able to resolve it and thus avoid the need for disconnection.
Whether there is a legal basis for such a claim I don't know. As an HA, are you a member of an association with any help resources ? I doubt if you are alone in this problem.

You don't seem to understand the basic difference between a DNO and a supplier of electricity - I would have thought that was pretty fundamental for someone whose job requires them to deal with both.

British gas are your electricity supplier. They don't own or maintain the equipment. All they do is provide the electricity and charge you for it.

Northern Power are your DNO. They are responsible for the safe installation and maintainance of the electricty distribution network. If they come across an unsafe situation they will disconnect it from their network. And will then charge through the nose for the supply to be repaired, re-certified and restored.

The fact is that someone who your HA (as the property owner and therefore the body responsible for the electrical installation) allowed to access the installation caused damage to it resulting in an unsafe situation. The DNO disconnected the supply to prevent damage to their network, injury, or even death. And now they want paying to put it right.

The DNO have no control over the kind of muppets who your HA gives access to the property - you do.

The DNO don't receive rent from the muppets your HA accomodates - you do.

The DNO don't take a security deposit from the muppets your HA accomodates - you do.

I don't see how you can possibly argue that this is a cost the DNO, or the supplier, should bear. Why shouldn't YOU retain the tennants deposit and chase them for the rest of the money?

Put yourself in the DNO's shoes.

They have a supply which they are not obliged to give you, and is covered by a set of conditions, one of which is:

• "Do not mess with our kit, else we'll cut you off!"
Your tenants have messed with it, so they've cut you off. Simple. Why should they need to warn you? It's quite clear in the connection agreement, a copy of which you can easily request from the DNO.

National Powergrid stated they removed the supply to protect their equipment. Why did they not take issue with damage done to the tenant who was ion that property for months afterwards?

We did not allow access to the installation without damage. We have to house tenants. We do regular checks to the electric to keep it up to standard. This occured after a check. We cannot monitor people in their homes, police them 24/7, making sure they do not interfere with something they shouldn't.

If National Powergrid knew there was a fault before the supply was removed, they must have had reason to suspect otherwise why check? they could have prewarned us and enabled us to find a better solution.

We do not always take security deposits off the tenants, many tenants simply cannot afford them.

Any damage to our property we do chase outgoing tenants for.

If the supply is National Powergrids property, they should in all fairness seek recompense from the person who caused the damage, not expect an innocent party to pay for it.

If the supply is our property then can I arrange some cowboy electricians to reconnect the supply? A pirate band of ex National PowerGrid employees perhaps?

If I took over a property only to find that the supply was removed because of the actions of the previous occupant then would I still be expected to pay for the connection fee?

As SimonH2 said earlier it seems to be one of those "Thats how it is" situations. To get it resolved I can pay for the supply installation but I really do not see that it is fair. I am in a position where I cannot question the authorities, only do what they say, pay what they desire.

A society in which you cannot question authority is no society at all.

If National Powergrid knew there was a fault before the supply was removed, they must have had reason to suspect otherwise why check? they could have prewarned us and enabled us to find a better solution..
Instant disconnection normally only occurs when there is an immediate danger to life or property. Otherwise the DNO is required by law to negociate with interested parties ( owner+tenant+supplier ) to come to some agreement on future actions.

If there was immediate or existing risk of fire would you have been happy to learn the house caught fire while the DNO were getting in contact with you to ask permission to make the property safe ( from electrical fire )

What damage had the tenant done to the supply ? Had someone reported smoke coming out of the meter box ? Being a housing association property did the meter have a tamper alarm that alerted the DNO ?

Do you have landlord buildings and legal cost insurance that you could claim on ?

Funny how the only person who thinks you're right, is you...

My heart hasn't bled so much in ages.

Far far to much support goes to these idiots that disrespect other peoples property.

You might consider yourself luck the DNO isn't pursuing your organisation for damages; you are the people that let these idiots live in your houses in the first place.

I can't see anything wrong with what has happened - you should get the money back from the tenant.

It is not very often I side with a big company let alone an energy supplier.

The costs you are being quoted by the DNO are the standard costs of installing a supply to a property, they are not in any way recompense for the loss of electricity or damage to the equipment (these costs the DNO will have already recovered from the supplier who has to seek to recover them from the customer).
It is also possible that the cost might include the costs of disconnection.

As far as the DNO's are concerned they will deal with the customer (your tenant). As he is no longer the customer and you want a supply to the property it is your HA that has to bear the cost.
I'm surprised this is an issue as it happens very regularly in all DNOs

There did used to be a way out in some DNOs if the supply had only been removed for a few weeks as the MPAN number could be re-used. However after that (if the DNO did this) it can only be re-installed as a brand new supply.

As for the fairness of this, well I've been in the industry for nearly 40 years and this procedure has certainly been followed for at least that time!

They surely cannot charge that much for simply re-inserting the main supply fuse, and reconnecting a pair of meter tails? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It depends how and where the supply was disconnected. It might be the supply cable has been cut in the road outside.

It might be the supply cable has been cut in the road outside.

From the price quoted I'm assuming this, as if it were just the main fuse the supplier could deal with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back