Reconnection of Electricity

After speaking to the DNO, they are chasing the vacated tenants for costs incurred in removing the electrical supply. I asked why doesn't the costs they are chasing include an amount to help cover costs of the reinstallation?

Like always reinstallation costs are down to the next one to pick up the property basically.

Sounds weird to me. An equivalent would be a tenant breaking a window at his rented property, he gets charged for the clear up of the broken glass and boarding of the window to make safe/secure, but then the HA has to pay for the new window. In my mind you break a window you pay all costs involved. For electricity supplies, the same, in this case the vacated tenant caused the damage he should pay the DNO all costs including a nominal fee for reinstatement.

Sponsored Links
For electricity supplies, the same, in this case the vacated tenant caused the damage he should pay the DNO all costs including a nominal fee for reinstatement.

And if he won't/can't or if taken to court offers, say, £1 a week? Should the DNO offer credit facilities to him?

Sponsored Links
More stuff.
More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.

More stuff.
Close your eyes.

Breathe in and out slowly (at least 10s between each inhalation) for a minute or two.

Let it go.

An equivalent would be a tenant breaking a window at his rented property, he gets charged for the clear up of the broken glass and boarding of the window to make safe/secure, but then the HA has to pay for the new window. In my mind you break a window you pay all costs involved. For electricity supplies, the same, in this case the vacated tenant caused the damage he should pay the DNO all costs including a nominal fee for reinstatement.

You are missing the point in both cases, the ex-tenant is legally liable for the costs of replacing the window, or getting the DNOs equipment made good. Just like a Window company, the DNO are not going to chase the tenant to pay up, you have to stump up the cash to get it fixed, then you recover it from ex-tenant/insurance/deposit.

But its now the window companies window that has been metaphorically been smashed. But it is the DNO's supply that has been removed. There costs to chase I would have thought on this matter?

No it isn't. It is your window which has been broken. You have to pay a company to fix it, and then chase the tennant to recover your costs.

What's with the new user name anyway?

What's with the new user name anyway?
Well he was told his old one wasn't appropriate.

But yes, unfair as it seems, he just has to accept that if he wants lecky in the property, he'll have to pay for it to be installed (again) which is effectively what it is. The fact that it was a tenant and not him that caused it to be disconnected in the first place isn't of any concern to the DNO, and he'll need to chase the previous tenant for compensation (if he can find him, and if he is worth pursuing).

Has this been sorted out yet?

If the cutout has been removed, its the DNOs responsibility to put it back, at a cost to you/your company.

If its only the meter and the fuse which has been removed, Then the supplier can put a meter and a fuse in place. Again, there maybe a cost to yourself.

Has this been sorted out yet?
  1. Yes. Some time ago it became absolutely clear that if the property owner wants electricity in his property he is going to have to pay for it to be provided, and that this position was non-negotiable.
  2. No. Someone who works for the property owner has got so bent out of shape about this that he's registered here twice in order to moan to a group of people who had nothing to do with the situation arising and who can do nothing to change it, and he will not stop.

[*] No. Someone who works for the property owner has got so bent out of shape about this that he's registered here twice in order to moan to a group of people who had nothing to do with the situation arising and who can do nothing to change it, and he will not stop.
[/list]

Probably shouldnt be in the housing market if they cant afford the additional costs.

Its probably a little late, but have a read through this Mr IHateBritishGas http://www.moneysupermarket.com/landlord-insurance/

Customer isnt always right, The seller just wants your money.

I damage yopur equipment you pursue me for cost of replacement. You damage my equipment I pursue you for cost of replacement. This tenant, irregardless of wheter or not we housed hiom is responsible for his own actions. He damaged DNO's equipment, DNO should pursue him for the costs.

And the frustration is born of the fact the DNO will not provide any information about the situation. They say pay up and thats it. I am however slowly breaking down walls and slowly getting some of the information I am requesting but they are in no way being helpful, quite the opposite.

He damaged DNO's equipment, DNO should pursue him for the costs.
That is what landlords would like to see.

But that is not how it is done. The landlord OWNS the property where the DNO's equipment is installed, it was installed at the request of the owner ( or a previous owner ) so the owner is responsible for the care and protection of the equipment the DNO installed at the OWNER's request.

So if the DNO's equipment is damaged or mis-used then it is a failing by the owner to ensure the care and protection of the DNO's equipment. In this case the owner's failure was to rent the propery to people who did damage. If the TENANT had requested the DNO install a supply then and only then would the DNO be able to go directly to the tenant for cost of repairs.

I damage yopur equipment you pursue me for cost of replacement. You damage my equipment I pursue you for cost of replacement. This tenant, irregardless of wheter or not we housed hiom is responsible for his own actions. He damaged DNO's equipment, DNO should pursue him for the costs.
OK, let's say that they do. Pursue him for the costs of what he did.

And let's say that if he wanted the electricity restored the DNO would make him pay for that too.

But he doesn't want it restored, you do, so you have to pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back