Reconnection of Electricity

afaik,

Mr IhateBG/uribentmyspoon.

You still havent said whether it was the metering equipment that was removed, or the cut out and its cabling from the street.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to pay out of my own pocket every time someone damaged my employer's property.
Let me correct that for you ...
I'd be pretty unhappy if my employer had to pay out of his own pocket every time someone damaged my employer's property - property that he'd rented to that someone who was probably "of a type" fairly prone to causing damage.

Sponsored Links
I'd be pretty unhappy if my employer had to pay out of his own pocket every time someone damaged my employer's property - property that he'd rented to that someone who was probably "of a type" fairly prone to causing damage.
I expect we all own things which could potentially be damaged by other people, maliciously or by accident, or indeed by ourselves, although in that case hopefully not maliciously.

Generally what one does is to take out insurance if the risks warrant it. And if they think it worthwhile the insurers will go after the person responsible for any losses which they had to pay out on.

In this case it seems both clear and reasonable that the HA is not being held responsible for whatever damage was done to the DNOs property which was in their charge, but is being asked to pay for the supply to be reinstated. Or, if you like, they are being held responsible for the original damage via being asked to pay for the equipment to be replaced if they want it.

Just like if some yob vandalises a car you've hired and you didn't take out the necessary insurances and waivers, the hire company will make you pay. It doesn't matter how reasonably you behaved, parking the car lawfully in a recognised location permitted by the agreement etc, the car was in your care and the owner will expect you to pay.

Whilst I sympathise with whateveryournameisnow (I don't see anything wrong with Ihatebritishgas (if you do)) but that's life.

To look at it another way would you be happy if BG said yes it's the tenant's responsibility, we will chase him and reinstate the supply when we get paid.

Either way, they (BG) don't care and aren't going to do it free.

Latest update from my conversation with British Gas. There is a procedure that leads up to the mains removal. Mains cable are not just removed straight away. Part of this procedure lies with British Gas. If the British Gas meter is being tampered with, they have a route to proceed down. I know certain people have been arguing with everything I have said previously but on this point can we agree? I am asking British gas what there procedure was in relation to this particular property. They cannot tell me due to Data Protection. Okay then, I am asking what there procedure is for any property where their customer is tampering with meters/supplies. They will not provide this even though it is a general enquiry as to what their route is on such matters. I am asking them how I can be sure that they have followed their own procedures in this particular matter as I am hearing information from the DNO that does not seem to fit with the very little British Gas are telling me. I am asking them if I cannot see the details due to Data Protection is there an independant body that I can talk to who can look at this to make sure everything was followed correctly. This last part is not me trying to find an independant body, only if British Gas will supply information on an independant body. The British Gas answer to ANY of these questions seems to be "Not telling!"

Just pay the fee and get the supply reinstated before you bore us all to death.

In response to EFLImpudence I see this as the tenant damaged DNO's property, the charge for making safe and the reinstatement should follow the vacating tenant wherever he may go. Just like the outstanding British Gas bill the vacating tenant has, the bill should follow him.

The cost, the bills, should follow those responsible not stay with the property. If I was to move into a property I would not be very happy to pay off the previous occupants bills, nor would I be happy to pay for the criminal damage caused by the previous occupant.

Although I know this entry at least is going to generate a response from Ban All Sheds. I know you do not agree with me on this point, but will you agree to the previous point about requesting British Gas procedural information from them? Or do you disagree with me on principle? :) ?

Ok lets say BG chase the tennant and he cann't be tracked / refuses to pay / can't pay, what then?

I rented my van out last week. Some one smashed the window. I took it to the window shop and got them to fit a new window. The cheeky buggars wanted me to pay for it!!!! Obviously I refused and said I didn't break it and they needed to chase who ever did break it for their money. :rolleyes:

Sadly it matters not how many posts you make on the subject, after each one the situation will still be that you have a choice between:

1) Paying the fee

2) Owning a property with no electricity supply.

Remeber this from nearly 2 weeks ago?

Has all your whinging on here altered anything or does the above still remain true?

Ok lets say BG chase the tennant and he cann't be tracked / refuses to pay / can't pay, what then?

I rented my van out last week. Some one smashed the window. I took it to the window shop and got them to fit a new window. The cheeky buggars wanted me to pay for it!!!! Obviously I refused and said I didn't break it and they needed to chase who ever did break it for their money. :rolleyes:

If someone cannot pay you for work you have carried out? Do you get to chase the next person in the street for that money?

We the HA rented a house out to this tenant, he has damaged HA property, I am charging him to make safe and replacement of necessary items.
Whilst HA rented this house to him he damaged DNO property, the DNO have charged him for making safe but the HA for replacement of DNO property. The mains is DNO's property, the DNO should seek recompense from the person responsible.

For the van analogy to fit I would have to rent you a van. You then whilst renting this van from me decided to kick in your neighbours door. You neighbour then gives me the bill for replacement on the grounds that I had rented you a van, that somehow negates any responsibility for criminal actions that you have caused.

If someone cannot pay you for work you have carried out? Do you get to chase the next person in the street for that money?

I wouldn't work for someone who I know will not pay me.

We the HA rented a house out to this tenant, he has damaged HA property, I am charging him to make safe and replacement of necessary items.
Whilst HA rented this house to him he damaged DNO property, the DNO have charged him for making safe but the HA for replacement of DNO property. The mains is DNO's property, the DNO should seek recompense from the person responsible.

That person is you. You pay the DNO, and then you chase your tennant for the money.

the DNO should seek recompense from the person responsible.

Did the tenant contract with the DNO to install the supply cable that any one of many electricity supply companies coud use if people living in the house wanted electricity. ?

NO the tenant did NOT make a contract with the DNO.

The OWNER made the contract with the DNO and LATER the TENANT made a contract with a SUPPLY company to buy electricity via the cable that the DNO isnstalled at the request of the OWNER.

If the tenant wanted a supply of electricity and there was no cable to the house then two contracts would be needed. One with the supply company to supply electricity and one with the DNO to install the necessary cables.

I, as a home owner, am the victim of criminal damage to MY property, I ring Police, get incident and crime reference numbers, I claim costs back for repairs /replacement from my insurance.
If the meter is damaged by vandals/criminal activity, I report the crime and get incident and crime reference numbers and give them to my supplier for them to claim on their insurance as they have been the victim of criminal damage. If the DNO are aware of criminal damage they should claim costs back as it is their equipment , their property that has beendamaged.
Regardless of what contracts exist between ourselves and the DNO and the fact that there was no contract between the tenant and the DNO, the damage was still done to the DNO's equipment. Why didn't the DNO, knowing full well who caused the criminal damage pursue for criminal damage/costs.
If the mains was the property of the HA then there would not be a problem, we would be pursuing for criminal costs done to OUR equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back