Recording SOUND only from DVD to CD

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a Freeview DVD recorder which is useful for recording radio shows. Some of them I want to listen to in the car, which has a CD player.

Is there a way I can copy the sound only onto CDs? I don't want to buy an expensive editing package.

no, the DVD recorder won't record onto CDs, though it will play them

Sponsored Links
I don't know. I could connect a DVD player to the PC if that would help, but I don't know how; or, I was thinking, record from its DVD drive to its CD drive.

I can't record straight onto CDs because I have set the freeview Recorder on timer, so it records various progs at various times. My CD recorder is on the PC.

if it records audio only, put DVD into a PC, pull the audio files off, burn to disc.

otherwise, put disc into PC, rip the disc with magic DVD ripper, or similar software, convert to .wav, burn to disc.

the long way, connect the audio out of the DVD burner to the input of your PC, and record the audio with audacity or similar, you could also do this direct from the internal drive on your PC.

or get a freeview card for the PC, record from that, burn to disc.

OR, last, but not least, download the show from the net, if it is a channel that has a "Listen again"type function.

Sponsored Links
:confused: but I have to record it onto the CD as a standard CD file that the car CD player can read

the DVD recorder stores them as DVD files with picture and sound (even if they come off the radio)

can you tell me more about recording onto CD from "listen again"? it is only a car cd player.

my other car is much easier as it has a minidisk player and I connect the analogue out from the DVD audio, to the analogue in of the minidisk recorder

I have done that, and it downloads MP3 files (which I can play on my PC)

however, the car just has a standard CD player. The files on CDs appear to be .cda files

Am I missing something?

the long way, connect the audio out of the DVD burner to the input of your PC, and record the audio with audacity or similar, you could also do this direct from the internal drive on your PC.
maybe I'll try that.

Is there a good, easy to use free program that will do it, and record as .cda files? Where does audacity come from?

I have done that, and it downloads MP3 files (which I can play on my PC)

however, the car just has a standard CD player. The files on CDs appear to be .cda files

Am I missing something?

You are. Any normal CD burning software can burn an audio CD from nearly any audio file, and certainly from an MP3.

If you're lacking anything more capable than what Windows comes with, use this: http://infrarecorder.org

I have downloaded Infarecorder, and it looks very familiar. To create an Audio CD, though, it seems to want me to just copy existing files, and when I have assembled them, it will write them to disk. This is not what I need because I need to convert to .cda format.

Remember that I want to play them in a simple CD player in the car.

What am I missing now?

Exactly what I said you're missing. If you add MP3s it will transcode them before writing. Audio CDs cannot hold MP3s. They don't even have files on them, that's just how Windows tries to simplify it.

not used infarecorder, but if its like most burning programs, it will give you an indication of time remaining somewhere.

as monkeh says, the burning software will encode the CD from any (within reason) audio format.

If the tracks are "normal" song length, ie 3-5 mins, you should fit 15-20ish on there (ie max 80 mins)

MonkeH et al have given you good advice.

The cda extension is what windows assigns to audio tracks when you put an audio cd in to the cd drive.

When you download any audio from the web it will be a mp3, wav, ogg and so forth.

(most) burning software will take these formats and change them into something that will act as a cda file (when burning an audio cd). This might not be evident but most software that asks if you want to create an audio cd is taking the mp3 etc and re-encoding it on your behalf.

I use cdburnerpro from cdburnerpro.se as a free prog but i have no reason to doubt that monkeh's program is just as good.

The others have given you good advice- I appreciate that at first glance it doesn't seem that way.

Good luck

Thanks

I have tried it and it works. Best of all my car can play CD-RWs so I can record some stuff, listen to it on long journeys, then rewrite them for another time.

What made the difference was that I did not know the package reformatted the files into CD format. Without that I could not see how it would work.

Sponsored Links
Back