Recurring drain blockages in tenement - any options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it...

I've been getting regular (3 times a year) sewer fumes through shower & bleachy bubbles / gurgling in my toilet. I'm in a ground floor tenement flat, with four storeys above me. Had a CCTV survey of drain last week and no structural issues found that would cause the problem. Instead, every time it's been fixed there's been one of the usual culprits: tampons, sanitary towels, wet wipes etc. I've tried sending letters & leaflets to the people living above me warning them about non-flushable items, but nothing changes. Unfortunately it includes student flats so there's new tenants every year.

The diagram attached shows my setup: shower/sink drain with manhole (red dot); toilet drain connecting to stack above ground with no access point (blue dot); these two pipes connect underground and then there's a manhole deeper into the garden (yellow dot) where they connect with the same setup for my next door neighbours.

The guy who did CCTV basically said there's not much I can do. As long as the ****s above me keep blocking the drains, I'm gonna live the consequences. He said that a non-return valve could be installed to the toilet (and another one to the shower?), but he didn't recommend it. Couldn't pin him down on why but he didn't seem to trust them. Also presumably that'd involve tearing out my relatively new bathroom. So not a great scenario.

But I HAVE to do something because the fumes are affecting my asthma & sometimes giving my toddler headaches. Can anyone weigh in on the following options so I can just make the best of a bad situation?

1. Install access point on the toilet stack, which should allow me to clear blockages myself with a rod / hose? (Until now they've been cleared by operatives opening the yellow manhole, which is always after the blockages. Would direct drain access from behind the blockages be easier to clear?) Been quoted £250 for this inc VAT.

2. Non-return valves in drain? I've seen this product https://www.flexseal.co.uk/product/non-return-valves but the operative said the manholes are too small for them to be installed. Pix attached - do you agree? And what about a product that would go in my elbow above ground linking to the stack? (Bad idea in case of failure?)

3. Non-return valves in the bathroom? Would I need to rip out my toilet and shower and start again or are there products for an easier solution? Pix of toilet & shower attached. The shower is the worst offender for smell, but if I NRV that plug surely the fumes will just escape from my bath & sink plugs?

4. Kill my neighbours? XD

I'm resigned to unblocking the drains manually every few months so I'm pretty sure I'll get that access point installed. Hopefully there's just something else I can do to keep these fumes away from my family?! They're really vile in a small flat :(

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005_105301_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_105301_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20201005_105255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_105255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20201005_091030.jpg
    IMG_20201005_091030.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20201005_102715.jpg
    IMG_20201005_102715.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20201005_102737.jpg
    IMG_20201005_102737.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 199
  • drain setup.jpg
    drain setup.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you contacted the the local water company ? As the sewers are taking sewage from several separately owned/rented flats they are likely to be public sewers and the local water company should have taken them over for any maintenance / improvement / repair.

Hi Bernard unfortunately in Edinburgh these drains are treated as private property & the council won't get involved. Tried several times but they say their responsibility starts at the manhole beyond the yellow one in the diagram (not shown in pic).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back