Red and Black catepillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two wall lights in my living room presumably fitted by some previous occupant. They are connected as a spur from one of my downstairs socket outlets, into a switched fused outlet.

The faceplte had become loose so i took a closer look inside. I found that the person who fitted it use the old insulation from the P & N as sleeving for one the CPC's .

Is Green and Yellow the new Red and Black ? or is this some new wiring colour convention of his own making...

Sponsored Links
Looks like whoever did it didn't have any green sleeving so used the stripped off pieces from the P & N.

Best thing to do, switch off power to the circuit and test for dead, then put G&Y sleeving on both of those earths.

It is starting to get a bit tiresome in this house.

Everytime I decide to look at something (This FCU was just a little loose), I find something else hidden behind the plasterwork,or under the floors, or in the attic.
Nothing too serious mind, but once you discover something however minor, what are you to do; pretend you haven't seen it ?

All sorted now, needles to say the other end of the wire was actually worse , another red/black catepillar plus the routing of the cable was rubbish, the dry lining box was bodged in with the help of a wodge of rolled up wallpaper and polyfilla... [shakes head in disgust...].

Red and Black catepillar
That's funny, they're usually yellow...

bulldozer.jpg

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't your label read "Spur FROM socket" :D

I can't decide if that cable is 1.5 or 2.5mm

Either way, it should be 2.5mm from the socket, and either 1.0 or 1.5 to the lights, however, there is no harm in it being larger.

Shouldn't your label read "Spur FROM socket" :D

I can't decide if that cable is 1.5 or 2.5mm

Either way, it should be 2.5mm from the socket, and either 1.0 or 1.5 to the lights, however, there is no harm in it being larger.

You are eagle eyed !

I think now that the cable from Socket to FCU is 1.5mm, it was smaller than the ring cables, but it didn't click at the time . I will change it later...more hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back