red bue yellow cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall light to attach which has a brown blue and earth wires. The lighting circuit cable is yellow blue and red. How do they connect? Thanks

Sponsored Links
could be any combination. why have not got a multi meter?

would you expect to put nails in with out a hammer?

As the 3 core and earth at the fitting is Yellow, Blue and Red (old colours), it is likely that the Blue is the Neutral, Red is permanent live and Yellow the feed to the live terminal of the light..

BUT as Breezer so eloquently put, without a multimeter to check this out and be 100% sure, do not make the assumption that what I have said is accurate. The wiring could have been done by a half trained monkey for all you know and could be totally cock eyed..

CHECK IT OUT PROPERLY.

Sponsored Links
Thanks B-S.

I'm not going to touch it as it's clearly not as straighforward as re-wiring a plug. However based on your assumption where would the red go if the yellow went to the live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back