Two wy switch Wiring (Iv seen the How to etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, iv done a few two way light swithes in the past. Adding another switch for upstairs etc.

Previously I have always had the earth, live and ground in the existing socket ie red black. This isnt the case for this socket. It is the yellow, red, blue and earth. As is the cable Im wiring in.

the Red is the com, L1 is bue l2 is yellow.

There isnt another switch etiher (or at least that I am aware of). How do I wire in the additional switch so that I can get control of the light from either?

Sponsored Links
Previously I have always had the earth, live and ground in the existing socket ie red black.
Earth, live and ground? :confused: You mean earth/ground, live, and switched live for a simple 1-way switch (not sure where the socket comes into it though). But assuming you do just mean extending from an existing 1-way light switch to make it 2-way......

the Red is the com, L1 is bue l2 is yellow.

There isnt another switch etiher (or at least that I am aware of).
If that's what's at the existing switch, then there probably is another switch for the same light somewhere. Or if you can't find it now, there almost certainly used to be one.

How do I wire in the additional switch so that I can get control of the light from either?
If there is still a second switch, then you'll have to add or convert one to an intermediate (unless you want to do away with that other existing switch). If the original second switch has already been removed and bypassed, then you can isolate the redundant wire (blue or yellow - you'll have to test for which), then extend from the switch to your new 2-way switch in the usual manner.

You will proberly need to see what colours there are and how there connected at the light

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the very prompt responses, exactly what I needed.

Iv had a think about it and think that the existing switch probably was put in before a small partition between the now hall and living room.

I bet the original light switch is hidden in there somewhere. This is all boarded up now and I would idealy not like to break this apart to check if its there or not. It wont be used at all.

I know the Com cable red. So im guessing as the switch wont be used that the blue or yellow will act as the black wire in the original switch.

I just need to test which one it is and use that.

Is this correct?

Cheers :mrgreen:

If I have read correctly you will have to replace the existing switch with an 'intermediate' one and extend the red (by a connector block) to the new switch common terminal..

chockblock2wi1vc.gif

In this diagram the top right switch is your hidden switch,

the bottom right switch is your present light switch position and

the left switch will be your new switch.

NOTE : here the yellow is used for common, you are using red.

If I have read correctly you will have to replace the existing switch with an 'intermediate' one

if the other switch is hidden and not used, then whats the point, just wire 3 core and earth to a new 2 way switch and connect as normal 2 way

That diagram seems spot on and your interpretation of my text is spot on correct. (apologies for the round about manor I arrived at the problem).

So I need to swap the red in the current usable switch COM port to L1 wire the blue into L1. Leave the existing com and L2 Empty.

Wire nut tie the new and old yellow together.

New wires red and blue in L2.

And wire the new switch as shown? this should work without digging the old switch out?

if the other switch is hidden and not used, then whats the point, just wire 3 core and earth to a new 2 way switch and connect as normal 2 way
Surely it will still contain necessary wiring.
Yes i agree, but as long as he connects the existing Live and switchline across the strappers and seals off the spare wire then its no worse than its always been.
Short of tearing the house down to find the other switch its unlikely to switch over.

Wire nut tie the new and old yellow together.
No, you are using the red as common.
The intermediate switch has four terminals - these will be yellow and blue in one end and yellow and blue out the other and reds in a connector.

And wire the new switch as shown? this should work without digging the old switch out?
Yes.

No worries that seems pretty clear.

I will give it a go in the light tomorrow. Much appreciated for the help everyone.

Ok thanks once again for the help. Got a couple of other hopefully simple questions. More reassurances I hope....

I have bought an MK modular grid switch as only one of the switches will need to be an intermediate the other will need to be a usual two way.

I have no problems with the two way however as this is my first experiance of a intermediate I think I need to wire nut the two yellow cables together.

On the intermediate there is on top side 1 & 2, on the bottom inter 1 and 2.

Do I wire the blue and red to the top side 1 and the new bue and red to lower side 2?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back