RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - BEST BAND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me, or are the Chili Peppers the best band around now? Don't mean single artists, or rap or anything. But I mean bands as in playing their own instruments/ writing their own songs etc.
I think they are amazing. But then again "I'm a pill-head, and an in-bred..."

Sponsored Links
Agreed they are pretty good, but I still favour the Foo's personally.

Now this will probably wind you up, but I preferred the All Saints version of "under the bridge". :LOL: I know they didn't write it, they didn't play any of the instruments and they'e a bunch of mindless morons, but I prefered the finished article.

Sorry, but I think the Red Hot Chili peppers are over rated. Which is a shame, because I agree with the general sentiment. ie Writers, instrumentalists deserve more credit than they get. I've never understood why Vocalists tend to get all the glory.

I loved that single "Angels", Brilliant song writer, terrific orchestration, well performed, great production. Why on earth did they credit Robbie Williams for it. (so he sung it. BIG DEAL!).

Sponsored Links
Yeah I agree Poshman, the Stones have done some classic tracks. Think my fav is probably Angie. And I think many of the older bands (still touring or not) are great. The Who, Kinks, Doors to name but a very few. But I guess I kinda meant bands who are still interjecting new material on a regular basis. And anyway, Mick Jagger don't count, cause he has been with some of the worlds most stunning women, and I'm jealous of him :)

TexMex said:
ie Writers, instrumentalists deserve more credit than they get. I've never understood why Vocalists tend to get all the glory.

Agreed about Robbie Williams, but if you asked me "Name a member of RHCP", the only name I could give you would be Flea. Of course, that is because bass players have always been the most important part of any band (Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Flea, Tony Kanal, John Paul Jones for a few starters) ;)

Whilst RHCP are a decent band, and I smile when I see kids wearing t-shirts that show their support (as opposed to wincing when I see chavlets in chav clothes listening to towny music), they are really just a common denominator: most people like at least one of their songs, but very few people could really be regarded as a "fan" in the purest sense of the word. so really they have a quantity of fans rather than a quality of fans.

Foo fighters: I had "All my Life" come on in the car today and I could really tell that they are a band started by a drummer :LOL:

I'm seeing Status Quo next month: It's only costing me £30-ish, so I reckon the geriatic bands charge roughly £10 per chord (hence tickets for the Stones costing hundreds ;) )

Adam, are you really payin £30 to see Status Quo? Or anything 4 that matter? :)

The peppers are superb, but I liked them 15 years ago better. I saw them live around then and they sounded more raw. Personally, I prefer music in its raw state, not all the engineered and polished **** that people buy.

Rock music is far better than anything else. It takes real determination and practice to learn an instrument to the point where you can play really well. P******g around with a computer program and a keyboard is childs play.

The real talent in music are all the artists that write and play their own music. The best ones though, there are dozens. The Foo Fighters are just as good as the peppers, as are QOTSA, System of a down, U2, the list is endless.

The RHCP's are great, and it is right that people of their talent get proper recognition as the creators and performers of the music, but they are not the only band about that fits this mould...U2 and Oasis spring to mind, and whilst i am not a fan of the members as people, they are brilliant musicians with incredible talent and both have produced some truly modern classics.

but both oasis and particularly U2 have an uncanny habit of producing records that have underlying Beatles melodies.

kendor said:
but both oasis and particularly U2 have an uncanny habit of producing records that have underlying Beatles melodies.

Funny you should mention that, I was in the pub the other week and "Don't look back in anger" came on... very Beatles-esque.

Oasis would have been much better if they had fired the whiney-voiced singer at the very outset. I saw them on TV doing a live performance back before the "Blur V Oasis" thing, the whiner had lost his voice so his brother was singing instead: much better at it too!

Boy did I laugh when I found out he started a fight with some random businessman and got his teeth kicked in :LOL:

Spark, I am indeed seeing Status Quo! I've been practicing sticking my thumbs in my belt loops and so forth... except it's all seated :LOL:

kendor said:

You can say this for many bands of musicians, but the Beatles had influences from others too..it is a common process in many forms opf art.

Sponsored Links
Back