Red LED flashing on mystery box in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a box in the airing cupboard which I don't recognise. The box has two LEDs and one button. The bottom LED is flashing red. The other LED is off. See attached photo.

The original boiler was replaced about 5 years ago with a Valliant ecoTEC plus 415, but it looks as if the original Honeywell timer (ST6400C?) has been retained. I think the hot water cylinder was replaced about 2 years ago, but I don't have any info about it.

Looking around the internet, I suspect the mystery box might be a Honeywell BDR91 wireless relay box. Does that sound correct? If so, what does it do?

Do I need to worry about the red flashing LED? What does it mean?

IMG_1388.JPG

Sponsored Links
If the red light is flashing then it's lost RF contact with whatever is paired to it (and gone into failsafe mode) - wireless thermostat possibly?

Sponsored Links
If the red light is flashing then it's lost RF contact with whatever is paired to it (and gone into failsafe mode) - wireless thermostat possibly?

OK. Thanks. So is it likely that the relay is controlling the central heating or the hot water? Or could it be either? If it's in fail-safe mode, is it likely that either the central heating or hot water is not working...? What's the worst that could be happening...?

Most likely it's connected to you CH - what type of thermostat do you have?

Most likely it's connected to you CH - what type of thermostat do you have?

All I know is that it's a "Honeywell wireless room thermostat" (as per an old invoice), although I've never actually seen it and I'm away from the property at the moment.

The most likely fault is the thermostat has lost communication with the relay - flat batteries is a possibility.

If that's the case, then the stat needs to be re-bound to the relay. Once you have the thermostat model no. then the Honeywell website will give the instructions on how to do this - simple process

http://www.honeywelluk.com/homeowner-zone/resource-centre/

The most likely fault is the thermostat has lost communication with the relay - flat batteries is a possibility.

If that's the case, then the stat needs to be re-bound to the relay. Once you have the thermostat model no. then the Honeywell website will give the instructions on how to do this - simple process

http://www.honeywelluk.com/homeowner-zone/resource-centre/

Great. Thank you. In the meantime while I'm away, do I need to worry that the central heating might not be coming on in the cold weather...?

Depends how the system is controlled/configured - at the moment there is no feedback about room temperature to the system.

It may seem a daft question but you haven't seen the thermostat but you have a picture of the relay box - how did you get the photo,who took it/when was it taken?

Sorry - posts crossed.

Get your tenants to identify the thermostat?

It may seem a daft question but you haven't seen the thermostat but you have a picture of the relay box - how did you get the photo,who took it/when was it taken?

I took the photo when I visited the property recently, but I didn't think to look for a thermostat, because there wasn't one originally and I didn't have any idea what the relay box was at that stage.

Get your tenants to identify the thermostat?

The property is now vacant, so can't do that. I'll go back to visit soon and identify the thermostat. If the pipes are likely to burst in the meantime, I'll try harder to get there sooner!

What else do I need to take photos of so I can understand how the system is configured?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back