Keston 50 boiler - mysterious red flashing LED?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd much appreciate some info on this problem I'm having with an old Keston 50 boiler?

Seems that Keston were taken over by Ideal last year and the new Keston 'technical support' refuse to talk to me because I'm not a Gas Safe registered engineer. I understand their reticence - they wouldn't want to encourage DIY'ers like me to meddle with gas stuff but that said, I am the customer after all and I only want an answer to a simple question:

What is indicated by the red flashing LED near the bottom edge of the Pektron SA-06926208A-17 control unit (situated inside the boiler's casing)?

A bit of background...

I fitted the Pektron control unit as a non-like-for-like replacement for the original RAM unit that destroyed itself just under a year ago (the subject of another thread on this forum). In the past couple of weeks, the boiler has misbehaved three times - by stopping when it should have been active. When it stops unexpectedly, all indicator lamps on the casing's front panel tell me everything's working correctly (when it clearly isn't). In this state, a red LED on the control unit flashes (Hmmm?).

Switching the boiler off, then on again a minute later, sorts out the problem and the boiler re-starts normally (no flashing LED on the control unit in normal operation) - until the next time.

According to the fault finding section of the original Keston manual, the fact that the front panel lamps are lit indicate everything's fine and that the boiler hasn't failed due to any of the many in-boiler safety trips cutting out.

So what has gone wrong? I'm thinking that maybe the original fault finding section in the manual no longer applies due to differences between the original and replacement control units.

If I need a new control unit then it would be good to know before January 4th so I can get a replacement under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely the proud(?) owner/carer of a 12.5 year old Keston 50 boiler. You express incredulity - do I take it most Kestons don't last that long? Or was I the only mug to buy one?

Andy

Our views on Kestons are best left in poop-a-scoop bins. But no I was merely staring at the wrong product list which only had the last few abortions from this sh1tbox of a company.

Your older piece of Leper's sputum still being in existence is more a disappointment than a surprise, but there is a fair degree of surprise still to be had.

Not having any more information than your original posts sparse offerings limits me in helping you, but a goosed fan or PCB is well on the cards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your views gents.

Don't you just hate intermittent faults? If the problem lies with the Pektron control unit (as we suspect) then I wish it would just fail completely. Still, I emailed Pektron (UK) yesterday, in the hope they can confirm, and await a reply.

The outer case of that boiler is part of the combustion area and is not something that we recommend that DIYers open up !

The Pektron as I recall has a simple fault code depending on the number of flashes. I think that they have been fitted to later Kestons.

Its most likely to a lack of flame detection. However, that can be caused by other factors and not only by a failure of the ignition unit. However, the forum rules do not permit me to give further details to someone who is not gas registered.

It sounds as if you dont bother to get your boiler professionally serviced. So I would ask you how you can know that the gas/air mixture is still correct after 12 years without being checked/adjusted?

The best advice would be to get a qualified engineer. Thats not so easy as only a few will be happy working on Kestons as they have a poor reputation within the industry.

Tony

I dont encourage diy gas work either, but having said that anything you touch on a Keston is probably gonna be an improvement of some sort. Cant make it any worse. Why dont you just rip it off the wall rather than waste money on it? A 12yr old Keston still working? Im surprised Keston dont want to buy it off you for their museum.

• Thanks
Reactions: oph
Dosn't anyone else remember the flashing fault code?

I thought that it was listed on the outside ?

Tony

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I take you point, Agile, about DIY gas-related work. It’s a contentious area and I fully appreciate the concerns of gas professionals. I can't pretend to know everything about the subject but I have some experience so like to think I can judge the limits of my abilities when working on my own gas boiler.

Please don’t be offended when I say that if I had confidence in a Gas Safe engineer, I’d have offered them the job already. I’ve employed three different gas engineers over the past few years (all Corgi or Gas Safe registered) and been present when a forth recently fixed a friends boiler. The first, a BG engineer, left my gas fire with a gas leak, the second used a lighted match to search out a gas leak on a pipe and the third didn’t inspire confidence. The forth engineer was really impressive but unfortunately only works on Worchester Bosch.

I’m genuinely sure there are many good gas engineers out there but it’s been my bad luck in not finding any hence I sort out problems myself if I feel able to do so.

I digress…

A wiring diagram is printed on the cover of the Pektron control box. No mention of flashing LED lamp fault codes though. I noted that the reference code printed on the control box cover is ASS-0692G210A – different from that given on the (paper) wiring instructions that came with the box, which is SA-06926208A-17.

Pektron haven’t replied to my email yet so they’ll get a ‘phone call on Tuesday. Other text printed on the control box says, ‘Relevant instructions available on request’. We shall see.

You’re correct to assume that I’ve never had the boiler serviced and therefore won’t know whether the gas/air ratio is correct or not. And I appreciate this could explain the problems I’ve had.

I’m reluctant to spend good money on the boiler due to its advanced years. If this current intermittent problem looks like costing three figures to fix then it’s goodnight Keston. If however I can fix it for less, then I’ll get it serviced.

new boiler it is then
Just for my own gratification, could you please post a picture of said boiler sitting on a kerb, maybe upside down or something :D

Ripped out a 2yr old Keston Kudos just before Christmas. Customer just wanted rid of it.

Had called Keston out many times, one fault after another.

They now have a Vaillant ecoTEC.

Very glad I wasn't swayed by all the pro Keston swallocks on the internet forums and those H&V Awards a few years back. Pleased to say we've never fitted one.

Throw the blighter in the skip, get rid. If you fix the infernal Pectron something else will get you.

This particular 2 yr old Keston had just been fitted with a brand new fan and PCB by Keston a week earlier. Twice (the first parts were faulty).

I thought about selling the fan and PCB on eBay - then common sense prevailed. I'd only get them back again. My scrap contractor took the lot.

I'm suprised the OP has tried to contact Pektron!! he is unlikely to hear from them, he would need to contact Keston/Ideal - who won't speak to him without a Gas Safe Registration!

Also most makers are shut untill 3rd Jan 2012 due to that annual festival called "CHRISTMAS" !!!! ;)

Just for my own gratification, could you please post a picture of said boiler sitting on a kerb, maybe upside down or something :D

How cruel - I couldn't possibly! I've nursed the Keston through various 'episodes', it's been touch and go at times, but we've come through it together and grown closer.

See what a Keston boiler has done to me!!

But I have a result...

With minimal deception, I managed to bypass Keston/Ideal's firewall (ie. the receptionist) and talk directly to technical support. They were very helpful and said the flashing LED indicated a fault with the air pressure switch. There is a simple electrical check I can conduct if the fault occurs again just to confirm so I'll wait and see.

Thanks all for your thoughts (and heartless suggestions).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back