red light on pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pull cord switch has a red light which moves sideways when it is turned on. switch operates a 9.2kw shower.
Is it indicative of some fault in the cercuit or a fault within the switch.
Appreciate any help.
thanks.
BTW, I am new to this forum so be gentle.

Sponsored Links
The light moves sideways?
Is it really a light? Or is it a physical indicator with alternate red and white quadrants?

If it's really a light (can you see it in total darkness?) then it sounds like something's loose inside your switch. I would pull the fuse at the consumer unit then drop the cover off and have a look. You might find that screws holding the innards to the base plate are loose. On the other hand the thing might be broken so, whether you do it yourself or get somebody in, don't just ignore it.

bellin said:
The pull cord switch has a red light which moves sideways when it is turned on. switch operates a 9.2kw shower.
Is it indicative of some fault in the cercuit or a fault within the switch.
Appreciate any help.
thanks.
BTW, I am new to this forum so be gentle.

itll be a visual indication that the switch is closed since you cant otherwise see if the cord is on or off unlike a normal switch

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments. The red indicator light I am referring to is similar to a cooker,immersion heater light, just indicating the cercuit is on.
My query is why it is moving from one end to the other also I noticed the MCB making noise when the shower is on so ther has to be something wrong within the cercuit or the switch itself.
Normally when a switch with an indicator light is switched on you will notice a steady red light not one pulsating like the one I have.
May be I will purchase a new switch and see how it performs.
As far as the MCB goes it is 40A so the noise could be due to it being faulty or problem at the switch.

I think the neon has had it - pulsating from side to side.

What noise does the breaker make? Some buzz a little at the max load, or above.

I assume 9.5kW not 9.2??

Just to be clear: I'm not sure if the light is actually moving or is it only pulsating or perhaps both?
If the red plastic thing in the switch physically moves when you pull the string then you probably have a defective switch - see other replies.
If the light pulsates/ flickers/ appears to be on the move - but nothing physically moves, then you may not have a problem at all, although the neon itself may be on the way out.
I pass on the buzzing.

Yep - Neon in switch is failing, not really a fault.

And the breaker in the consumer unit could be overloaded/ too lower value for shower.

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my shower at home it is a pull cord (the light indicateds that the heat is on) the water comes through regardless of whether the cord is pulled on or not (if it is not on the water is cold) Anyway my problem is that now when I pull the cord the light doesn't come on and the water in the shower won't get hot - any ideas??? There is water coming through so the shower works it just seems to be a hearting element?? Where do I start in trying the get to the bottom of this (there is no fuse in the pull cord) It does feel "Lighter" than it used to when you pull the cord so maybe something isn't turning over???

Thanks

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem with the red light.

Is the light on the pull switch or on the shower itself? If it is on the pull switch then it sounds very much like something is wrong with the switch. If the pull feels different now then this also suggests the switch has a problem. Someone who knows what they are doing will have to dismantle the switch and find out if power is coming through when you pull the cord.

If it is, then someone who knows even more is going to have to investigate the shower itself.

Tanks - sounds like it's a job for someone other than myself !!

gabby - a quick, cheap thing to try is to swap the switch for a new one - you can always take it back if it doesn't fix things. Turn the shower circuit off at the main,(remove fuse or flick breaker, depending on age of house)and take the switch off, and trot with it, to B and Q or whatever, and see what they have that will fit the holes and has an adequate current rating. (note the original wiring so you can put it back if you have to - tippex or felt pen stripes (1 stripe/2 stripe etc on the wire and on switch by related terminal etc. is useful,if you are not too confident of your memory)

Ok, I will try that first (and will make notes as I go so I know how to put it back!)

:D

Screwi said:
And the breaker in the consumer unit could be overloaded/ too lower value for shower.

....But possibly the correct size for the cable installed. DO NOT just up-rate the breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back