red/orange tinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q. why am I finding a red/orange deposit on my shower head (heats the cold mains) and inside my waterproof elec shaver and around the inside of the chrome waste on the sink?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking rust. Dou you live in an oldish house with steel water pipes or has the water company recently done work on the supply pipes? How long has it been happening?

Much more common in a soft water area. I have a relation in somerset that gets rust stains on the bath, and has done for years. Here in chalky Hampshire all the pipes are coated with limescale so it doesn't happen.

Sponsored Links
JohnD_ said:
I was thinking rust. Dou you live in an oldish house with steel water pipes or has the water company recently done work on the supply pipes? How long has it been happening?

Much more common in a soft water area. I have a relation in somerset that gets rust stains on the bath, and has done for years. Here in chalky Hampshire all the pipes are coated with limescale so it doesn't happen.

Looks to bright to be rust. I can take a pic at the weekend and post if it helps. seems to appear where water has been left to evaporate, even on plastics.

If i remember rightly, a splash of bleach will kill the mould and take its colour away, but won't affect rust stains. Have I got that right? If so, should help identify it.

In my house bathroom mould is always black, so i don't know about this orange stuff. Anyway, I've got an extractor now, so there isn't any :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back