Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a Red Robin Shrub about 3 years old
This season it has started to drop a lot of leaves
Is this normal ?

Sponsored Links
No - Photinias should be putting on a lot of red, new growth at this time of year at the tips of the branches.
They are prone to leaf spot, powdery mildew,aphid attack and root weevils - so check for any signs of these first. In general, though, they are hardy shrubs suitable for most soils and conditions.

But, strangely enough, I went to visit a client of mine yesterday (I'm a qualified gardener) and exactly the same thing that has happened to yours has happened to hers - only she has almost no leaves at all now... very strange. I cannot see any bark or leaf disease, no fungal infections, no nasty bugs, no sight of anything unusual - it's flummoxed me!
The only thing I can suggest is that you leave it and see what happens in the next year or so, and in the meantime give it lots of water and a good thick mulch - although it has rained a lot in the last few weeks the weather overall has been quite dry over the last few years and if the Photinia has been in full sun all day it may be very dry. Many shrubs / trees do drop their leaves if they are stressed in some way, so don't give up yet. If, in next spring, no new leaves have appeared, then it may be time for the chop. If you do cut it down & dig it out, don;t plant another one in the same place or you may have a repeat of losing yet another one.

Thanx
I have noticed since that something is eating the leaves as they are shrivelled and sticky
I have sprayed with Rose clear

I have never cut the bush back at all and i notice that some of the stems are long with few leaves on them do you think i shuld prune it.

Ah! at least you have a clue to your culprit - sounds like either scale insects or whitefly - both are sap suckers that secrete a sticky substance called honeydew.
Prune out all infected leaves and branches and spray the rest with Permethrin based insecticide or Malathion, this should do the trick.
As for pruning, a Photinia does not need any specific pruning unless you want to control the height or spread. But from what you've described, prune out all infected and weak branches and hopefully you should get some nice, new, red growth. In general, Photinia can be pruned quite hard if needed and seems to regrow with no problem. I've taken a 8ft one down to about 3ft and it's regrown in a year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back