Redecorating the lounge - slightly differently!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus recently took to the walls with a knife and started hacking all the wallpaper off, so I decided it was time to do the project properly. I also wanted to do something slightly different, so I had a dig around in the shed for a ceiling grid and some tiles I had doing nothing :D

Firstly...what a mess! The old warm air cupboard taking up loads of space!

3DSCF7467.JPG

Have to hide those pipes and box the radiator in:

3DSCF7463.JPG

Warm air heating is out...what a job. Started putting up battens for plasterboard.

3DSCF7469.JPG

With the boards on:

3DSCF7474.JPG

Recess boarded out and electrics going in (This is going to be used for my AV - video, stereo etc):

3DSCF7500.JPG

Now, the biggie! Suspended metal ceiling goes in:

2DSCF7505.JPG

2DSCF7508.JPG

2DSCF7507.JPG

Blind reccess for continuous blind along the sliding door. This will also have hidden lighting to wash down the blinds (I'm thinking blue halogen at the moment :D) :

2DSCF7502.JPG

The plasterboard perimeters will have about 15 twinkly downlighters on a dimmer, and there will be another circuit for the main lights in the metal tiles:

2DSCF7503.JPG

Pipes all hidden now, the old lights still need to come out:

2DSCF7501.JPG

A lot of people (specially the wife :( ) have said that a metal ceiling in there will make it look like a shop, but I think the tiles that I have used look really good, and the more I do the more I think it looks okay. It's also very practical, easy for access ;)

I'm also going to throw away the old speakers and install 4 speakers in the ceiling to hide them.

One question, could anyone recommend a nice cover to use for the boxed in radiators? For the fronts and the tops. I'm a bit stuck for ideas :cry:

Sponsored Links
B & Q Sell MDF panels with different patterns cut into them, this may give you some ideas.

Diyisfun beat me to it :)

I've also seen them in Wickes as well.

Done a nice job there and the only fault I can see is, the radiator might be a bit awkward to service if need be. Just a thought maybe just a removable radiator cupboard instead.

Nice job, and my thoughts too go to the rad., i'd have been lazy and just put a shelf in above it, well done!

Sponsored Links
Well, the reason I formed an aperture in front of the radiator was to put a removable panel on. (It'll be bigger than the hole and hook on using gravity battens or similar) I have also left enough space down the sides to get to the valves etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to pop into B&Q and see what they have. :D

After a hectic weekend, I had the plastering done and fitted some of the downlighters. Just got to wait for it to dry and then apply a mist coat. I think the most taxing thing after that is to settle for a final colour that both the missus and me are happy with :D

3DSCF7516.JPG

3DSCF7511.JPG

Good to see you have made use of drywall electrical boxes, and taken into account your entertainment needs. One thing I wouldn't be sure about is ceiling-mounted speakers. The ceiling may rattle a bit at higher volumes.

Did you do the plastering yourself? If so then good job, the only time I tried plastering it came out like a freshly-plouged field :confused:

That looks like it's going to be a living-room to be proud of.

Adam, I would never even attempt plastering myself. I have done a fair bit of taping and jointing, but never plastering! I had a friend of a friend do it and he did a great job.

As for the speakers, I'll lay them on the back of the ceiling tiles. If they do rattle I will cut a hole through and use plasterboard backing in the tile and face fix them so they can't move. They do this in lots of commercial buildings, so I think it should be okay!

I suppose if it does turn out to sound gash then all you have lost is one ceiling tile per speaker, you can just replace those ones and no-one will ever be the wiser!

AdamW said:
I suppose if it does turn out to sound gash then all you have lost is one ceiling tile per speaker, you can just replace those ones and no-one will ever be the wiser!

Yes, one of the big advantages of removable tiles :D

I once had a bedroom with a grid and tile ceiling, the space above it was about two feet high so I used it to store empty cardboard boxes for stereo equipment.

Some might say it was a fire hazard but I kept it all well away from the electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back