Redoing dormer cheeks and front

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had a good read through the many dormer threads on here but all seem to be brand new dormers or lead based approaches.

To keep it brief. Whoever did the dormer on my house 20 years ago did a cowboy job. I’ve only been in this house 3 years but they used the hollow soffit board vertically (it’s not rated for vertical) and didn’t put any trims on (or they did and they’ve not lasted). This combined with no drip trays over the windows means the studs have rotted through moisture ingress.

I’ve got to rip it all out and start again (but hoping most of internal studs are ok). I’ve got upvc cladding (proper stuff not the soffit stuff).

Questions are:

Do I use osb or ply? How thick should I go?

Im going to use tyvek house wrap over the osb or ply. I’ll then fix tile lathes as battens over the house wrap for the cladding to go onto. Is that the right approach?

The weather has been a bit rubbish recently. As long as I can rip it out and get it all boarded back over and the house wrap on before any rain I assume that’ll be fine? Wary of getting moisture on anything before the cladding goes on.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Had a good read through the many dormer threads on here but all seem to be brand new dormers or lead based approaches.

To keep it brief. Whoever did the dormer on my house 20 years ago did a cowboy job. I’ve only been in this house 3 years but they used the hollow soffit board vertically (it’s not rated for vertical) and didn’t put any trims on (or they did and they’ve not lasted). This combined with no drip trays over the windows means the studs have rotted through moisture ingress.

I’ve got to rip it all out and start again (but hoping most of internal studs are ok). I’ve got upvc cladding (proper stuff not the soffit stuff).

Questions are:

Do I use osb or ply? How thick should I go?

Im going to use tyvek house wrap over the osb or ply. I’ll then fix tile lathes as battens over the house wrap for the cladding to go onto. Is that the right approach?

The weather has been a bit rubbish recently. As long as I can rip it out and get it all boarded back over and the house wrap on before any rain I assume that’ll be fine? Wary of getting moisture on anything before the cladding goes on.

Many thanks
12mm minimum thickness. We use ply. Breather then batten - ok. Don't forget to insulate.

12mm minimum thickness. We use ply. Breather then batten - ok. Don't forget to insulate.
Thank you. I’m hoping to reuse the insulation as that looks ok from the inside. But I’ve got some Pir spare should I need to insulate. Good point though. Do you need an air gap for the insulation?

I’ll go for the ply option. If it’s wbp do I need to seal the cut edges? I’ve got some Sbr for some tiling so I could use that if i need to seal?

Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back