Redring electric shower - fuse keeps blowing

Dont know the size of the cable by looking at it but it appears to be of the order 6.5/7.5mm T&E. I note it was mentioned earlier that 10mm T&E should be used with 45amp fuse. What is the maximum fuse size that should be used on say a 6.5mm T&E cable

The instruction manual for the slimline 650 states that the 9.5kw shower (8.7kw @230v) requires either 6 or 10mm2 T&E and needs to be protected by a 40Amp MCB or a 45Amp Fuse.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks lads for all the advice and posts, I'll speak to an electrician and get it upgraded. I was just wondering if I would have to increase the size of the cable, which wouldn't be an easy job in my house..........thanks again

Why were large numbers of showers installed in the 1980's and 1990's off 6mm cable run off a 30amp fuseway, was it due the general lack of knowledge at that time??

Sponsored Links
Because showers were generally 7.5kW in those days, and the circuit was fine for that. It's only when someone comes along and slaps a 9.5kW shower on the end of the cable without any other upgrading that things go wrong.

Why were large numbers of showers installed in the 1980's and 1990's off 6mm cable run off a 30amp fuseway, was it due the general lack of knowledge at that time??
No it was probably because most electric showers had 6 or 7 Kw power rating.
That was the time when men were men and showers were braccccing ... :eek: . none of this nancy 10.5kw you have nowerdays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back