Redring expressions 500 boiling shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have a redring 500 which has some strange behaviour
It has 2 power settings - full and half

on full, at the lowest power on the heat dial, the water is very hot and is just about tolerable with the shower head at max height. The water output is also very spluttered as if it's about to shut off. If the dial is increased, the shower overheat comes on and it goes cold.

At half power, the shower is lukewarm around setting 5 on the heat dial, if increased to a decent temperature, say around 7, then the shower splutters and the overheat comes on and the shower is dead cold.

Steps taken so far..

-changed the TCO, the old one tested for continuity was ok but I had a spare anyway
-cleaned the shower head.
-Checked mains water is turned on full.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can check before I order a new one
many thanks indeed

Sponsored Links
Do you have hard water where you live? Is there an inline filter within the water pipe that could be slightly blocked?

I think the area may be hard water. I had a look inside the shower for a filter but couldn't see anything obvious. It may be inside the inlet valve perhaps.

I think the shower head is the original. I just got the property so can't be sure. But it look like the kind of quality that comes with a shower. I will try the water flow without the shower head on and see

thanks v much

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the shower is overheating, then you need to check the water supply first to the shower, make sure the stop tap is open ( and any inline isolators) and allowing a full flow of water to the shower, make sure no blockages or kinks in shower hoses and head.
If you remove the shower head and a full flow of water is present. Also worth consideration is that you have a faulty flow valve.

If the shower is overheating, then you need to check the water supply first to the shower, make sure the stop tap is open ( and any inline isolators) and allowing a full flow of water to the shower, make sure no blockages or kinks in shower hoses and head.
If you remove the shower head and a full flow of water is present. Also worth consideration is that you have a faulty flow valve.

hi
There is a filter apparently in the elbow join inside the shower, so will have a check at that too.

will check if there are any more valves between the main water stop valve and the shower.
The shower head is pretty clear and the hose is ok. I'll try the hose without the shower head on just to be sure.

The shower unit flow valve 'seems' to be ok upon removal. The plunger moves in and out as the shaft is turned.

I have found I just about can get the shower working. If I start it on half power with the heat setting around 5 - then gradually increase the heat to about 7 or 8. It's just about ok but not exactly luxury shower time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back