Reduce Cavity? Facing bricks wider than engineering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for a bit of advice

I have got up to the slab level for an extension and the only facing bricks I can get to match the property are 115mm wide. I should have sourced before I know but they are all different sizes currently and these are the best match possible!

Am I ok to have the internal blocks sit 15mm over the floor slab to maintain the 100mm cavity or should I just reduce the cavity to 85mm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, put extra ties for the first and second course of blocks. And if you are building the inner leaf after the outer, and have full fill insulation, consider laying the first two course, cover the top ties with a spot of mortar, and let that go off before building higher. This stops the bottom courses sliding on the DPC/DPM

Also bear in mind the tendency for walls to be built slightly out of plumb (towards you) as you start to get above shoulder height.

So does it actually need the full 15mm projection? Will the insulation compress a few mm instead

Thanks Woody

I've not got the insulation batts yet so could go with 85 and keep the walls inline but wasn't sure what was best.

Not sure if I need to keep 100 cavity though for BC, although they're not that fussed what I do by the looks of it. They've said to get the roof on before the next check.

Maybe just move it in a few mm on the internal and out a few mill on the external? The wall i'm joining isn't totally plum on the external so that may bring it out a bit too

Also do I put a tie on top of the bricks at slab level to stop the insulation falling in the cavity and maintain the gaps for brick/block as I go up?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back