Reducing dust in unfelted loft, for storage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here but I have used these forums for information loads of times in the past.

Our house has a roof that is not felted, which means that the loft space is VERY dusty so we do not use it for storage at all. The roof is in very good shape so I am happy to leave it alone for now but I was hoping that I can use something to board under the tiles so that I can make the space cleaner and more useable. The loft is well insulated between the joists and I am not looking to insulate under the roof tiles or attempt to make this space visitable for anything other than storage.

What can I use to achieve this without risking any condensation issues in the loft? If there is any risk I am happy to abandon the idea of extra storage.

Thanks a lot in advance!

George

Sponsored Links
I have this problem too, so following. I did think about stapling some breathable fabric on the underside of the rafters, but decided it was too much like hard work, especially because we have loads of insulation in parts and impossible to see where the ceiling joists are. I just put things in bags now. I do have a boarded area though, and wondering if I should protect just this area.

Staple weed control membrane to the underside of the joists. Be aware that any roof leaks would be funnelled down the membrane to the edge if the loft space so would take more tracing.

Sponsored Links
Used Tyvek on a friends , stapled to underside , the white also helped improve the lighting .

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, I think that the Tyvek is a viable option.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back