Creating a luxuary Storage area in a loft !

I thought long and hard about making this a proper habitable room, and after loads of research, consulting my builder friends, and from a question posed to building control years earlier (when I had an extension built) they confirmed the following as to why this would not "Happen" ....

- There is never going to be sufficient headroom to create an approved stairwell access to a habitable area and at the base of the stairwell, it would never be possible to create a propper access from the landing (therefore the only way is to create this is a cupboard).
- The headroom availaible in the roof itself is restrictive, and would be questioned too.

Given all this, the luxary storage area is just what we want anyway (to store valuable items). It's my plan to take pictures at each stage (I did this with the previously mentioned extension on the house some years earlier - which had full PP and building control involvement), just to prove whats been done, and hence how the works undertaken have not compromised anything (actually improved it and where necessary have added additional strengthing). The other fire precautions as mentioned too.

I continue to "mull over" approaching building control, but fear they will say it's an all (a habitable room - which can't be done anyway), or nothing - which means the "spider infested loft" remains !

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure when you do sell it the estate agent is aware that the loft is storage only, and the house particulars says so.

Thanks again ....

Yes - I'll be catagorical at the time of sale, that the space is a "loft storage area" (however nice it looks) and clearly point out is not deamed "habitable" for the reasons of height, access etc. Although it is constructed with fire regs in mind, and is sutructurally sound (pic's to prove how it's been done).

Personally I've seen various "conversions / bodges" to properties that people have undertaken - then pass off as "propper rooms" (garage conversions, lofts and basements). I'm being careful to do all the work properly (safely with a good finish) - but will never make out what I've done to be something it is'nt. (it will be a luxary loft storage area, and nothing else!) :)

Thanks again for everyones thoughs .... it's confirmed my approach, and given me some extra ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back