Creating a luxuary Storage area in a loft !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first posting so please be gentle with me :)

I have a couple of questions regarding creating a "loft storage area"

I have a reasonable size loft, I strictly don't want to create a habitable room, just want to make the space into a nice and neat storage area, with an alternator staircase for access from a large downstairs cupboard. I plan to board it, as well as insulate and dryline the roof with celotex and plasterboard (so as not to interfer with the required draft reguired in the space).

The job will take about £1k to do, and will give a nice "luxary storage area". Does anyone see any problem with this, from a building regulations prospective? I can find loads of references to converting your loft for habitable rooms, but I'f im not making it habitable, is this ok - particulary with reference to the stairs not being retractable?

I will strictly be refering to the space as "storage", when I come to sell - but could creating such a nice space - cause me problems in the future? with buyers thinking this an habitable space?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I would be a bit concerned about the roof space conversion being so nice,that you might over-load it and cause you're self problems.As for selling your'e house, estate agents see these conversions more of a problem than not especially when a staircase is involved :)

Thanks Splinter for your prompt reply.

A couple of builder friends have looked and mentioned that the contruction of my 1930's house is "very substancial" and would easily take the additional weight of the boarding it out and plasterboard - they've also told me how to install xtherm/celotex/kingspan - so as not to compromise the ventalation in the roof space.

Really it all comes down to fixed (alternator) staircase (or loft ladder) in the cupboard?

I strictly would never let any agent (when it comes to selling) call the "storage space" a "habital room" (aside from the legal fact it does'nt have approval) - for numerous reasons such as - there will be no window, the ceiling height is too low and it's accessed from a downstairs cupboard !

If I adopt this approach - do you think I will be ok? (thanks)

Like your builders I do not see plasterboarding and flooring out the loft space a problem even putting in a alternator staircase ,as you say there will be no window so it would be unlikely if it would be seen as a habitable room ,just be careful about how much you store in it

Sponsored Links
Thanks Splinter ....

As you suggest .... it's just down to limiting my partners use of the loft for storing her "valuables" !! :)

Hello mate, i am currently doing the same thing myself. The original ceiling was 3x2 which i was going to go over the top with using 8x2 at right angles. The 8x2 would be supported using joist hangers into the wall. However i decided to rip the whole ceiling down and used 8x2 bolted to the side of the 3x2. the new timbers run from the wall plate to a supporting wall in the middle of the house. I then boarded on top of these joists. The result is a really solid floor and its being used as a dayroom/ guitar room.

My building inspector has been involved with other projects at my house and said that if there is a permanent staircase up to it then in his eyes if is classed as a "proper" conversion and must comply with regs. So i used a fold down ladder which is really the only way i could get any stairs in.

From my experience building control are really friendly and if you call them they are usually willing to see you and if you can do a sketch for them then they can advise you better. REMEMBER THEY ARE THERE TO HELP YOU.

Another consideration i is dont think that the room will really add significant value to youre property (from a local agent) so any cash you spend there may well be watsed?

If you have anymore specific questions dont hesitate to ask.

Andy

just as a footnote it may pay you to fire proof the cuboard if you install a alternator staircase in it :)

splinter said:
just as a footnote it may pay you to fire proof the cuboard if you install a alternator staircase in it :)

Even if the building inspector isnt involved i would definately advise you to do this. I wont cost you much more but will be a lot safer.

Splinter has some good advice.

Andy

splinter said:

Even if the building inspector isnt involved i would definately advise you to do this. I wont cost you much more but will be a lot safer.

Splinter has some good advice.

Andy

Thanks for your advice - it's appreciated.

I will take up the idea of drylining the cupboard with fireline plasterboard as well as putting a fire check door on the cupboard. Mybuilder friend suggested for the sake of £30 why not install some interlinked smoke dectectors on each level for added saftey precaution.

I realize that it's not going to recoup it's cost at the time of sale (no plans to sell yet!), it's more for having a nice storage area for keeping belongings, including my partners valuable horse saddles and items I just want to keep the safe .... being drylined more of a "spider free zone" :)

I'm just aware that I don't want a nice storage area to get miss-construde by the Building inspectors as somthing masquerading as a habitable room .... my concern is if I approach them - they will imediatly say .... go the "full mile" and make it into a "habitable room" - which we don't want, we catagorically just want a "luxuary storage space" (as rediculious as its sounds!)

Thanks again.

Maybe take photoes at each stage especially the beginning because the problem when you come to sell is the new surveyor wont know what has been removed ie supports ;)

I think as long as you dont start putting rads and windows up there you should be ok. I think if you inform the building inspector from the start and explain what you are doing he will be ok. Remember that these guys have some valuable advice and tips and you may need him.

If you go ahead and do it and then the building inspector sees is he may start to ask questions and poke around.

My advice is to call and explain what you are going to do. That way when you do sell you know you are ok with the building control aspect.

Again building controls advice is invaluable, my building control officer gave me some great help and advice on insulation and other aspects.

As i said before take some drawings and book an informal meeting with building control and discuss what you are going to do and as your kind of "off the record, i.e no formal application has been made" he can advise you on what will pass and what wont and as i mentioned if you involve him he knows exactly how you have done the job and you know its all done correctly. You can rest assured that everythings done properly and is sructuraly sound etc.

BUILDING CONTROL ARE THERE TO HELP YOU.

Cheers
Andy

Sorry, Forgot to say:

If you go to the trouble of a new staircase and joists for your storage room you may actually be better off making a bedroom or habitable as half the work would already be done (and roughly half the cost) providing you fire exit situation is ok, this is what i would try and do.

Cheers
Andy

jbonding said:
Maybe take photoes at each stage especially the beginning because the problem when you come to sell is the new surveyor wont know what has been removed ie supports ;)

This a most important point for anyone reading this, as Jbonding is saying don't remove struts/supports just because they are in the way

splinter said:
jbonding said:

This a most important point for anyone reading this, as Jbonding is saying don't remove struts/supports just because they are in the way

Yes dont go chopping and sawing without checking structural integrity first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back