Reducing garden gate width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a purchased 6' x 3' garden gate that I now need to reduce in width by around 2-3" - due to a brick pillar being built closer to a wall than I thought..!!
It's a horizontal slatted gate and the frame has bridle joints on the corners.

What's the best way to reduce the width while still maintaining the gate strength?
Looks like I need to reduce the width by exactly the width of one of the gate uprights.
Now I'm no carpenter so would probably struggle to recreate a bridle joint.
Any ideas on a simpler corner joint?

Many thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
if you are using cranked hinges assuming the gate opens into the garden you could mount the gate behind the pillar by 3" so rather than reduce the opening 3" as its in the way it will sit out the way behind the pillar

if you are using cranked hinges assuming the gate opens into the garden you could mount the gate behind the pillar by 3" so rather than reduce the opening 3" as its in the way it will sit out the way behind the pillar
Unfortunately the gate will be sitting mid way on the 13" brick pillar and can't really mount it like you suggested. Shame but thanks for the idea.

do you have the skills and tools to do the job??
in general 12mm each side is the maximum you can trim
in general you need a wooden post with a stop each side to attach to
i suspect the best option is probably take the gate back and get the correct size ??

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I haven't found this style of gate (to match the fence panels) in anything other than 900mm wide..
Thanks

do you have a picture off the back off the gate to see construction method ??

Here you go. The 4 corners all have the same joint of course.
No cross member in the middle just the 1 diagonal.
Thanks again

Attachments

• PXL_20220524_155513410.jpg
    PXL_20220524_155513410.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20220524_155533677.jpg
    PXL_20220524_155533677.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 69

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back