reducing gas bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a 14 kw boiler 3 bed house ideal classic ff250
a) am i spending more cash on gas because its such a small boiler to warm up 9 rads?

b)my plumber said that shutting off rad's on my system wont cut the gas bill as i i dont have any trv rad valves nor do i have a boiler which alters the gas being burned in response to the rad trv closing. i need to upgrade to trv and condensing boiler in order for gas bill to be cut by shutting off rads. is that correct? than k you kindly

Sponsored Links
hi i have a 14 kw boiler 3 bed house ideal classic ff250
a) am i spending more cash on gas because its such a small boiler to warm up 9 rads?

No, because it is an old cast iron heat exchanger boiler.

b)my plumber said that shutting off rad's on my system wont cut the gas bill as i i dont have any trv rad valves

He is mad. Not heating rooms you do not use saves energy.

nor do i have a boiler which alters the gas being burned in response to the rad trv closing. i need to upgrade to trv and condensing boiler in order for gas bill to be cut by shutting off rads. is that correct? than k you kindly

If the boiler is old, then go for a quality condensing boiler. Otherwise fit TRVs all around.

If changing the boiler, then consider a quality high flow combi and save space by not having a tank/cylinder and have instant hot water and high pressure showers without pumps. Saving will be greater as there are no standing heat losses as with cylinders.

Because the boiler is faned flue and electrpnic ignition it is reasonably efficient.

The payback period for puting in a steamer and considering your boiler will need nothing but regular replacement fans but otherwise one of the most reliable boilers keep it.

Don'tbother with trv's they are a move in the wrong direction. Justshut off radsnot required as they are not required.

Sponsored Links
Fit TRV where sun heats the rooms. Fit TRVs in rooms that heat up due to other forms of heat (cooker, fires etc). Then install a programmable roomstat possibly two (bedrooms and living rooms) Convert cylinder to fully pumped and replace cylinder if not factory lagged. Fit a thermostat on the cylinder. Insulating the house would assist.

Calculate total heat load and check if boiler outputs this.

My best advice would be upgrade the insulation and sack the plumber, who is an ignorant berk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back