reducing heat loss through glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1920's home with sash windows. I am in the process of refurbing the windows, draught proofing etc, and wonder if i can reduce the heat loss through them by fitting a different type of glass. I don't want to secondary glaze or fit new double glazing, but someone mentioned a type K glass.

Would this help and how?

Sponsored Links
Glass is a very good conducter of heat. The only reason that a double glazed unit is more than twice as efficent is the air that is trapped between the two panes. Air is a poor conducter of heat.
Simply replacing a standard pane with 'k' glass will not do much to improve the heat loss.

If you've decided not to secondary glaze, then draught-proofing and lined curtains will do a lot more good at less cost than reglazing.

Thanks for confirming that. i thought that curtains and proper brush sealed beading would probably make the most difference , but thought i'd ask anyway.

thanks

Sponsored Links
actually glass is a very poor conductor of heat, air is a good insulator and a vacuum is even better!! and yes fitting sheets of "k" glass would improve on heat loss cuz it works by reflecting heat back into the room that would otherwise be radiated. dont no what sort of difference it would make though :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back