redundant gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a capped off gas supply next to my fireplace that is not used since ive got a wood burner.

Im planning to fit wood flooring in the room and want to get a gas engineer out to move both pipes moves so that i can lay the flooring with out any obstruction.

Is it feasible to get the larger pipe capped off flush or below the concrete level?
What options would i have to get the smaller blue pipe moved/hidden?
Also what should i be expecting to fork out for in terms of labour time for a gas engineer to do the job?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it’s a dedicated leg and it can be accessed where it tees off, it could be capped there and your are then free to do what you want with it, provided it is then dead!

If it’s a dedicated leg and it can be accessed where it tees off, it could be capped there and your are then free to do what you want with it

Ill have to leave that one for the experts to determine but is good to know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the way its coming out floor its probably on an elbow and not a bend so little bit of chopping floor around it should expose the elbow then its just a matter of plugging it , simple half hour job for a gasman.

Is the blue pipe the feed to the old gas fire? It looks like an open end, so I am assuming it is. I have only ever seen white or yellow factory wrapped gas pipe,presumably they do blue for cold water ID?. Anyways, if it is what I think it is, then it just needs cutting back. As 112 says, the other pipe is normally a piece of cake to sort, although many years ago I had a nightmare of a job where that joint was so tight it resisted even under heat, and eventually deformed under pressure. But I have done A LOT with no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back