Refinishing with hardwood slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple important questions before I begin my biggest project so far. I have ripped up the carpeting on my stairs and plan on installing maple stair treads(and risers) onto existing stairs. (2 x 11 treads).

First I would really appreciate some input on what type of adhesive to use to glue the pieces on. I really want to avoid any screws in the new wood, unless absolutely necessary to make sure they don't budge.

Secondly I will be finishing the maple with a stain AND polyurethane. I wanted to confirm that i should leave the bottom of the tread, free of those 2 things, so that the adhesive will stick directly to the wood.

I do have access to the back of the stairs, so i could screw through the back/underside of the treads and risers, if necessary. But i would like to avoid risking splitting this pricey wood.

thanks, s

Sponsored Links
I have a couple important questions before I begin my biggest project so far. I have ripped up the carpeting on my stairs and plan on installing maple stair treads(and risers) onto existing stairs. (2 x 11 treads).

First I would really appreciate some input on what type of adhesive to use to glue the pieces on. I really want to avoid any screws into the new wood, unless absolutely necessary.

Secondly I will be finishing the maple with a stain AND polyurethane. I wanted to confirm that i should leave the bottom of the tread, free of those 2 things, so that the adhesive will stick directly to the wood.

The stairs as they stand now are void of carpet, and we are now down to bare wood. The tread are 2 x 11's, and the risers are 3/4 inch plywood. The 2 x 11 protrudes 1 inch from the riser(a 1 inch nose)

The stairs are open underneath, but both sides are against a wall, so there are no skirt issues. The stringers will be sanded and painted the same color as the walls.

I have purchased 1 x 10 inch stair treads with the 1/2 inch for the nosing round at the end.(total depth 10.5 inches) Also, I have 1/2 inch thick maple risers.

In a perfect yet simple world, I would like to cut off the nose of the existing 2x11 so that it is flush with the riser, for a "perfectly" square (~90 degree) stair, place the riser so that it goes all the way up to the top of the existing 2x11(now cut to 2x10 once the nose is gone). Then place the new tread on top, (10.5 inch, plus a half inch riser behind it would again, give me a 1 inch overhang). The only thing exposed would be the new tread, and new riser, with no unsightly constructions grade wood to be seen with the naked eye.

The maple will be stained with a minwax stain, either a natural or other light color, since the top of the stairs meets with birch laminate. Then i plan to top the stain off with minwax fast drying polyurethane.

Any advice is welcome.

thanks, s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back