Refitting loose radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've noticed that the support brackets on one of my radiators is coming away from the wall slightly at the top of the bracket. It's attached to a brick wall.

It's not by a huge amount, roughly 4mm, but it is definitely noticeable. I'm planning to take the radiator off and refit the brackets.

I am just wondering what suggestions people have for refitting. At the moment I am just planning to use bigger screws. :ROFLMAO:

I was wondering if there is an alternative approach.

Some pictures are attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• S1090002.JPG
    S1090002.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 60
  • S1090001.JPG
    S1090001.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
It depends on the size/weight of radiator, and existing screws used. I’ve got away with longer and heavier gauge screws, eg I’ve removed radiators being supported by 2” x 8’s, and used 3” x 10’s.

Thanks for the response.

It's a good point. It's a 1m double panel double convector radiator.

The current screws are coach screws, but I am not sure about the width. Probably 8mm width, I would guess.

Maybe I should try 10mm ones then. I was just wondering if there is anything I can try in case that doesn't work out.

Coach screws - these are often supplied with the radiator and for use with that radiator. If the holes are enlarged, you’ll need deeper screws or to move the brackets over slightly.

Sponsored Links
do the screws go into plasplugs?

there is an easy fix if they are loose.

It seems I can get longer and thicker coach screws than the ones that came with the radiator, so that seems like a good bet to me.

I really would rather not move the radiator itself.

The screws came with wall plugs, so I would imagine they take plasplugs. Never used that brand before though.

I think I will go for those two options then. Thanks for the help!

It seems I can get longer and thicker coach screws than the ones that came with the radiator, so that seems like a good bet to me.

I really would rather not move the radiator itself.

The screws came with wall plugs, so I would imagine they take plasplugs. Never used that brand before though.

@tfman

if the screws go into plastic wallplugs, no matter what they brand, and they are a bit loose (may happen in crumbly walls, mortar joints or if the drill was too big, or loose material was left in the hole)

pull them out (remove the big screw first. You can use a small screw as a handle).

clean out loose dust and grit from the hole with a vac or water spray

inject no-more-nails or similar builders adhesive into the hole, starting with the nozzle right to the back so there is no air pocket

press in your plastic plugs (slightly below the surface) and wipe away excess

leave overnight to set

drive your screw into the plug, you will find it is not loose, does not turn. The adhesive does not have to be very strong, because it simply transmits the expansive pressure to the wall. For outdoor work use a waterproof brand, but water seldom gets inside the wall.

As you are not drilling a new hole close to the old one you are not weakening it.

For serious structural work in concrete, epoxy resin is used in a similar way.

ok, cool. This was the kind of thing I had in mind as an alternative to using larger fixings.

Thanks a lot!

lol, it's my kid's bedroom.

I need to get them to stop using the damn thing as a climbing frame. :ROFLMAO:

lol, it's my kid's bedroom.

I need to get them to stop using the damn thing as a climbing frame. :ROFLMAO:
The only force that loosens radiators is gravity , and they will pull down, anything else is wives or brats that dont know why the rad is there :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back