Refitting Wash Basin: P Trap / Waste Pipe Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm just having my bathroom redone and have removed the wash basin to have the walls replastered. The P-trap was put together with lots and lots of mastic and the trap was attached to the waste pipe with tape! The waste pipe is cast iron but it has this copper fitting attached to it with a ring washer at either end. The diameter of the copper fitting is 40mm.

Now I want to refit the basin properly and was looking at getting a telescopic p-trap because it was fitted at an odd angle (hence the tape holding it in place I suspect!) but I'm not really to sure how to fit the trap into this copper fitting as (a) inside the pipe there's ridge preventing pushing any pipe inside far enough and (b) outside the ring washer stops me from sliding a nut on there.

Does anybody know why / what this extra coupling is and would you recommend removing it? I'm sure it probably did serve a purpose but I'm not too sure what, other than to gain a few extra centimetres away from the wall. Thanks folks.
wash basin3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like an old copper pipe waste

Cut the pipe just behind the "ring washer" then you will be able to use a compression fitting to attach a piece of pipe/p trap onto

Personally I would rip it out and replace with plastic , looking at the bottom of the isolation vavle with the olive and nut still there , someone has been having a bodge in your bath room !

The fitting is a copper-coloured plastic push-fit connector with one ring-seal end missing.

I'd remove it and use a compression waste fitting on the plain pipe end.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back