Refixed! -Pics (Mains cable bracket cracks masonry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thanks for looking. :)

Within re-roofing, we have had power company pop out to remove the power cables from bracket on our facia, then re-fix to the masonry.

This was for free as they (as far as I am informed) have a policy to gain general/gradual upgrading of their cables etc. This included routing cable across the front of the house, instead of across facias. No problems anywhere else.

My worry is that this fixing is not good, will move the blocks above.

Scaffold is up now- was thinking of sending them a pic and asking to 'OK' this.

If I mastic (?) in the cracks of the stonework and hope for the best, will I be on the back foot when/if the whole lot shifts and I did not let them know/ask them back?

Thank you for any advice/input.

Sponsored Links
It's the drip loop that has not been secured to the building, looks okay to me. Having the drip loop away from the building will be a little better for your masonry, as you will not have as much rainwater tracking down the side of your property.

It's the drip loop that has not been secured to the building, looks okay to me. Having the drip loop away from the building will be a little better for your masonry, as you will not have as much rainwater tracking down the side of your property.

Thanks for the reply. Btw maybe you'd know, I just noticed that the new fixing does not have a ceramic insulation part? All the other houses in the street have the same type as my old one- with insulator, and 'stand-off' design that holds the cables away from the walls?

Big deal, no big deal?

Sponsored Links
I would post on a builders part of the forum as it's not the electric bit in question but the splitting of the stone.

I agree on the problem of the fixing, though imagined (?) that electrical 'people' might have common knowledge of the standards of work done by the electrical companies?

It looks as though the bolts have been over tightened which has split the stone. Chemical fixings would have been better, but hind sight is easy.

As to whether it'll be OK, I don't know but as long as the stone seem solid and the bracket does too, then I wouldn't be too worried. Even if it does fall off, it's not up to you to sort it out.

We do a huge amount of overhead catenaries.

This one fails for several reasons.

Fixings should not be fitted to the top layers of brick
Fixings should be be affixed to mortar (especially not expansion fittings)
Fixings should not be in broken brickwork.

How can I put this?

Wrong type of bracket
Incorrectly fixed
in the
wrong location!

There should be an insulator on a different design of bracket that should be fitted either into a joint (as previously stated) or centrally in a large stone, using all 4 fixing points
The helical terminations are not designed for that design of cable and should be wrapped around an insulator at the house end anyway.

One of the few national specs for DNOs is for overhead lines, this does not comply!

How can I put this?

Wrong type of bracket
Incorrectly fixed
in the
wrong location!

There should be an insulator on a different design of bracket that should be fitted either into a joint (as previously stated) or centrally in a large stone, using all 4 fixing points
The helical terminations are not designed for that design of cable and should be wrapped around an insulator at the house end anyway.

One of the few national specs for DNOs is for overhead lines, this does not comply!

Many thanks Westie and Chrisrogers also; sounds like you know what you are talking about.

I will send an email to the E'board asking for them to act while our scaffold is up, or return with their own to make the job good, or to confirm they are content it is safe and sound (?).

I wouldn't do the last thing on your list.

You know it's wrong: if you ask them to confirm it's OK, they'll just go "yeah, yeah."

But you have an emphatic "NO" from the guys here.

Tell them you can see it's not right, and that you want it putting right.

If you have to, tell them it is not compliant. They cannot argue it is!!

I wouldn't do the last thing on your list.

You know it's wrong: if you ask them to confirm it's OK, they'll just go "yeah, yeah."

But you have an emphatic "NO" from the guys here.

Tell them you can see it's not right, and that you want it putting right.

If you have to, tell them it is not compliant. They cannot argue it is!!

Thank you securespark. I am not doubting your expertise/knowledge, but would hesitate to tell them it's not compliant without reference to a/'The 'specification. I googled into nowhere in particular last night trying to find a source.

Don't suppose you or anyone else out there knows the spec that they have not comlplied with, please?

As a former tree surgeon, for instance, I can tell someone that their tree has been 'butchered'; pruned somewhat counter to BS3998.

Don't know!

I would guess, however, that as they were written & developed by the Old Electricity Boards and are now controlled by the ENA on behalf on the DNO's they are classed as internal confidential documents to the owners. Just as a lot of other stuff is owned by all manner of private companies
They are certainly not BS documents.

Checking the ENA website folk can apply to join as members and they may be available at a cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back