Refreshing Gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

After some advice, I am decorating the whole house slowly (shoot me now).

I need to tackle the gloss skirting and internal door for the study. Traditionally, I have sanded, wiped down with white spirit and then applied my fresh gloss paint.

1) can I use “super grip primmer” to avoid sanding. It’s a choir sanding and isn’t good for my asthma. If it can be avoided I would be over the moon.

2) I noticed a water based satin wood, is this any good? I hate the oil based stuff, mainly due to the VOCs which again is awful for my asthma.

Thanks

Cameron

Sponsored Links
2) I noticed a water based satin wood, is this any good? I hate the oil based stuff, mainly due to the VOCs which again is awful for my asthma.

It is much nicer to work with (less 'sticky') and there are no strong fumes lingering around afterwards. It also dries a lot quicker. I erroneously used satin gloss 3 years ago and have now noticed it starting to yellow despite being called "Stay White".

I would strongly recommend using a water-based paint and rather than satin gloss.

Water-based paint will not stick to oil-based gloss without thorough sanding. It will peel, and you will not like it.

Even super-grip paints will no doubt specify sanding must be done to old paintwork.

I noticed a water based satin wood, is this any good? I hate the oil based stuff, mainly due to the VOCs which again is awful for my asthma.

That's what I used, for the first time, last time around about 3 years ago. I was quite impressed with it and especially needed the quick drying, because I have two 'busy' dogs. Touch dry within an hour, but it needed two coats, despite the tin saying it would cover in one, but unlike oil, has stayed white. None of the horrid smell whilst it dries too.

Sponsored Links
To cut dust you could buy a cheap mouse sander and connect it to your hoover like this picture:
https://ccsbestpractice.org.uk/entries/dust-extraction-improves-sanding-work-at-wernick-hire/

You could also buy some "liquid sander" which has worked for me (I'm not a pro) :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polycell-LS500-500ml-Liquid-Sanding/dp/B001GU6I40

Also, my experience is that Dulux retail WB Satinwood sticks well to old gloss. It's sold as "self undercoating", I don't know if that makes a difference but it works for me.

One other thought, you could get sanding sponges and use them wet. That way there wouldn't be any dust.

Thoughts from anyone else - would this work OK?

One other thought, you could get sanding sponges and use them wet. That way there wouldn't be any dust.

Thoughts from anyone else - would this work OK?

They would quickly tend to disintegrate, unless made as wet and dry abrasives.

If you apply a water based satin wood directly over oil based paint without sanding it is unlikely to pass the "fingernail test".

There are numerous primer/undercoats that claim that you can apply them without needing to sand first. As a professional decorator, I have seen evidence to the contrary.

The liquid sanders may work- I have never used them though.

I would suggest using a sander connected to a dust extractor and use them with a decent dust mask.

Opps, any reason not to wet sand with a sponge? It seems to be a good way to prevent dust.

Opps, any reason not to wet sand with a sponge? It seems to be a good way to prevent dust.

Wet sanding is fine but slower than using a sander. You need quite a lot of water and it can get messy. It is better suited to providing a key rather than sanding things flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back