'refreshing' timber left outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Left over from a log cabin build, we have a bunch of 6m timbers. They're grooved but basically 75x50mm, the plan is to run them through a saw and use them for a garden structure.

However the original plan was to use them late summer so they've been sat outside and our lovely white pine is now filthy due to a delay. Might be a spring project...

Ultimately we will probably paint them but assuming I can get them inside this weekend what should I do? Somehow clean them up now (how?) or wait until it's time to use them? Two sides will get cut to remove the grooves, but the other 2... Pressure wash? Plane?

Sponsored Links
Chuck a cover over till spring assuming you don’t have room to store inside .

Chuck a cover over till spring assuming you don’t have room to store inside .
I think I can get them inside but then what? Is there any point getting them cleaned up now, or wait until they are to be used? At the moment they have a nice layer of green slime so I figure at least washing them down and storing on some bits of timber to allow airflow?

Sponsored Links
Whether or not you have have a interior (unheated is important) location to store the timber it needs to be able to breath and dry out slowly. The lenghts you have quoted will need to be supported in five places at least with an approximate gap of 3/4-1inch gap between each piece and layer. then cover the stack again supporting the cover away from the final layer.
A cool area is best way to store. A warm area will speed up the drying but will cause the timber to move.
If you take into a heated area after being outside the heat will cause it to twist (and maybe split).
Clean them in the spring - brush or scrape the majority of muck off then use a damp rag to wipe the remainder off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back