1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Refurb of existing parquet - trio or belt sander?

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by hoyboy, 1 Feb 2008.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've a parquet floor that's not been looked after at all. it's pretty filthy - coved in plaster dust (from a re-skim of ceilings), general dirt and grim and also tile adhesive in some places. However, it's otherwise in pretty good nick. Two tiles are loose but I can glue them down easily. I'm going to sand it, fill it and hard wax oil it.

My question... should I use a trio sander or a continuous belt sander?

2. WoodYouLike

WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hard to say in this case, it depends on how much muck there is and how easy it will be to sand it off.
    If easy: trio-sander all the way
    If not easy: belt sander first (grit 40 or 60) to remove the old dirt and finish layer, then follow with the trio sander with grit 80 and grit 120

3. Sponsored Links
  4. hoyboy

hoyboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wow - that was quick. Thanks!

Can you recommend a good hire company - for London!? There doesn't seem to be too much muck on it - I'll clean as best I can before I start and probably go with the Trio. Although I don't know how long it's been neglected with no oil or varnish etc. A little worried it'll be badly stained since it's had nothing to protect it for years....

5. WoodYouLike

WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. WoodYouLike

WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And that was pure chance ;)

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local