Refurb of existing parquet - trio or belt sander?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a parquet floor that's not been looked after at all. it's pretty filthy - coved in plaster dust (from a re-skim of ceilings), general dirt and grim and also tile adhesive in some places. However, it's otherwise in pretty good nick. Two tiles are loose but I can glue them down easily. I'm going to sand it, fill it and hard wax oil it.

My question... should I use a trio sander or a continuous belt sander?

Sponsored Links
Hard to say in this case, it depends on how much muck there is and how easy it will be to sand it off.
If easy: trio-sander all the way
If not easy: belt sander first (grit 40 or 60) to remove the old dirt and finish layer, then follow with the trio sander with grit 80 and grit 120

Wow - that was quick. Thanks!

Can you recommend a good hire company - for London!? There doesn't seem to be too much muck on it - I'll clean as best I can before I start and probably go with the Trio. Although I don't know how long it's been neglected with no oil or varnish etc. A little worried it'll be badly stained since it's had nothing to protect it for years....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back