Refurbing a Twyfords Syphonic Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to dismantle the loo, a 70's twyfords syphonic close coupled pan. It wasn't flushing properly. No syphon action and a good few yanks just to get the flush to work.

What I've found is the remains of the aspirator bomb washer floating in bits under the cistern.
The syphon membrane-diaphragm thing (square piece of floppy plastic torn to shreds.
Bits of insulation tape wrapped around the aspirator air tube.
A 4-hole mounting on the pan and an offset coupling plate made of diecast which has corroded badly.
A couple of perished rubber seals, one small doughnut and one large one which seems to have sat in a rebate in the pan - see pic. (and the aspirator bomb in 4 pieces).

Can someone please look at the pics and tell me what I need. (new loo probably!).
I optimistically bought a standard close coupling kit and Dudley syphon but it doesn't seem to fit in any shape or form. :unsure:

IMG_0004_zpsqdg2thhn.jpg

IMG_0003_zps81jelie8.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsleghdotz.jpg

IMG_0002_zpstex7uulm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you want to 1- keep the pink WC. 2 - save water if you're on a meter.

A syphonic WC is worth quite a bit of money, to those lucky people who have owned one in good working order, so don't skip it.

Prefer the pink loo as it matches the pink bath, pink sink, pink tiles...In the interim I've done some intensive googling and found that my new dudley syphon has a matching aspirator (not listed on the dudley online catalogue) so I've ordered that to save messing about. The doughnut supplied with the generic coupling plate looks like it might just seal on the pan; I'll have towels ready when it comes to the flush test! I've dry-fitted it to try to gauge its squishiness.
I'm going to attack the triangular plate with a wire brush, I think its corroded because the wrong doughnut was used (2 together in fact) so allowing water to weep over it. Its installation is in line with the other original plumbing, ie done in a hurry with whatever's to hand by the lowest tender.

Sponsored Links
Its installation is in line with the other original plumbing, ie done in a hurry with whatever's to hand by the lowest tender.
...or possibly the home DIYer carried out the works just as you are...
I'd be very surprised if the pan maintains the syphonic flush after the attempted diy repair.:)

You're probably better off contacting LUNNS plumbers merchant( via Google) who will probably have the complete correct kit (y)

Prefer the pink loo as it matches the pink bath, pink sink, pink tiles...In the interim I've done some intensive googling and found that my new dudley syphon has a matching aspirator (not listed on the dudley online catalogue) so I've ordered that to save messing about. The doughnut supplied with the generic coupling plate looks like it might just seal on the pan; I'll have towels ready when it comes to the flush test! I've dry-fitted it to try to gauge its squishiness.
I'm going to attack the triangular plate with a wire brush, I think its corroded because the wrong doughnut was used (2 together in fact) so allowing water to weep over it. Its installation is in line with the other original plumbing, ie done in a hurry with whatever's to hand by the lowest tender.

I started reading the thread & thought; Ah, it's good to see this chap taking on a restoration job like this.

Then you called the wash basin a 'sink', that's where you lost all respect & credibility!!

Hey Dickie , let's hope the OP aquires the correct thickness doughnut washer , possibly there was a reason why the two 'doughnuts' were used...;)

Hey Dickie , let's hope the OP aquires the correct thickness doughnut washer , possibly there was a reason why the two 'doughnuts' were used...;)

Well, it's always reassuring to know Telly Tony will be along shortly & all issues will be resolved.

Maybe a thanks should be in order for advising you that you're wasting your time.
Well I've never worked on a syphonic toilet before and we shall see.
But it would help readers of the forum if you explained exactly why you think I'm wasting my time. Contributors on help-forums (fora, for the washbasin pedants) should be altruistic, generous, patient and polite. Those that participate purely for the gratification of mocking and embarrassing people outside the trade or to inflate their own ego with smart-alec answers that solve nothing have another name in my book...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back